𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄

CHAPTER FIVE | CHASING THE DEVIL'S TAIL

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ─── 

MUCH TO THE RELIEF OF EVERYONE, KLAUS HAD RESCUED ELIJAH. Though, since Klaus had managed to retrieve Elijah from the clutches of their deranged mother, Elijah had been unconscious. Esther briefly explained to the Hybrid that Elijah would remain asleep, locked in battle with his subconscious, until he was ready to wake up and accept himself. Riley had remained at the compound since Elijah returned, desperately trying to find any way of waking him, but to no avail. 

The witch remained seated in a chair at Elijah's beside, a grimoire in hand whilst he slept. When his usual twitching and flinching started to become more erratic, Riley grabbed a wash cloth and pressed it delicately against his forehead. She wanted to attempt to ease whatever pain he was clearly in.

Riley's eyes fluttered up to Klaus the moment the Hybrid made his abrupt entrance into Elijah's bedroom. "Have you managed to find anything?"

"Nothing." The witch answered with a defeatist tone of voice before her attention was taken back to Elijah. "His condition is getting worse the longer he's asleep. I— I don't know what to do."

"Let me." The Hybrid took a step closer to his brother, clearing his throat and shutting his eyes once he took a deep breath. "I know you are locked in battle. However deep in your mind our mother has set the stage, hear my voice." Riley watched as Elijah's body continued to twitch. "Our mother thinks she will win because she has left you alone, but you are not alone. Let me in." He placed his hand against Elijah's body, causing it to tense immediately. "Let me help end whatever torment she has forced upon you."

"Klaus." Riley anxiously spoke once she saw blood begin to pour from Klaus' noise. It seemed that both Elijah and Klaus were suffering equally, she she couldn't take it. "Klaus, let go!"

Hayley rushed into the room and peeled the Hybrid away from his brother with ease. At the panic of being plucked away from Elijah so easily, Klaus flinched at Hayley's touch. "What are you doing?" The woman blinked.

Klaus exhaled in defeat and wiped the blood from his noise. "I'm trying to enter Elijah's thoughts to wake him. Esther has locked me out."

Hayley took a step closer to Elijah and noticed a small rash that had began to grow at the side of his neck. "Is this rash a side effect of the witchy acid trip he's on?"

"What the hell is that?" Riley tilted her head as she noticed Klaus begin to examine his brother's neck.

"I haven't seen this since I was a child. Mikael would return from battle more blindly temperamental that usual, and our mother would use the petals of a rare merlock orchid to put him to sleep. She would mend his mind with a spell, and then wake him with the roots of the same plant. If she has access to it now, then maybe it also grows in the bayou." Klaus hopefully nodded to himself. "You two stay here with your wolves and mind the fort."