𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

CHAPTER FOURTEEN | NIGHT HAS A THOUSAND EYES

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ─── 

KLAUS WAS ABSOLUTELY FURIOUS WITH BOTH JACKSON AND HAYLEY, WHO HAD DECIDED TO GO FOR AN INNOCENT STROLL IN THE QUARTER. However, it turned out that their intention for a walk in order to show Hope Jackson's old haunts gave Dahlia an opportunity to seemingly possess the locals in an attempt to threaten them. Klaus escorted the couple back to the compound for safety, he had been raging at them ever since.

"Isn't that the point of a fortress? It does a better job of protecting you when you stay within its walls!" He snapped again whilst Hayley rolled her eyes and placed her head within her hands.

"Okay, relax. They made a mistake. Perhaps you should stop with the lecture and explain what the hell we're gonna do." Riley snapped toward the Hybrid. 

"What I would like to do, is take a strong leash—"

"—Children, please!" Elijah intervened before Klaus was even allowed to finish his sentence. Hayley, Riley and Rebekah all exchanged amused looks at his irritation when he realised he had been cut off. "Niklaus, your ire is justified. However, Hayley is quite right. We need to find a new strategy. Freya, if you please."

"The spell you described, Dahlia calls it kenning— using proxies to watch over her enemies from afar." Freya explained Dahlia techniques. "But, I've never seen it done on quite this scale."

"So, what you're saying is that anyone out there could be a potential spy for Dahlia?" Riley raised an eyebrow, noticing Hayley started to nod. "Oh. Wow. This is comforting."

The Mikaelson witch placed a teapot with six tea cups onto the dining table. "The good news is, I know a little bit about how her magic works. This tonic will at least prevent her from using any of us."

Rebekah and Freya were the first to reach for the cups. "Well, come on. This should work like a charm. Bottoms up!" Rebekah spoke as everyone apart from Klaus took a sip of the tonic Freya had prepared.

Klaus stood, inspecting everyone with a pointed look. Elijah held out the final cup for his brother, though the Hybrid just stared at it. "Niklaus, is there something you wish to contribute?"

"I prefer biscuits with my tea." He shrugged.

"Of course."

"Besides, our minds are far too strong to be invaded by kenning spells." The Hybrid declared, though clearly Elijah was not convinced. He finished the tonic without hesitation. "No. What we experienced was a test. Dahlia's watching to see how we respond to aggression. She's preparing for battle. My guess is sooner, rather than later."

Hayley sighed. "Well, if she was watching us, she'd know that we have our own army.

"She also knows where we are. And, given the immense nature of her power, we simply have no idea what to expect from her." Elijah straightened himself up in his chair as all eyes moved to him. "What we need is to create a new stronghold. Something that Dahlia knows nothing about. A sanctuary from any witchcraft."