Chapter four

Oakley POV

"Hudson Bass!" Annabeth calls, I bring a shaky hand over my mouth and let a small cry escape me. Annabeth looks at me as Hudson walks up the stairs and onto the stage, his brown curls bouncing. He stands beside me with a terrified look on his face. "My, my! Are you two siblings?" Annabeth asks excitedly. Hudson nods, only just enough to see.

"Well, the luck of this family!" Annabeth crows. I want to punch her and everyone who is involved with the games. Anyone who made this horrible thing. She led us into the town hall and were put into separate rooms. The first person to come and see me is Willow.

"Oakley!" she cries. "Oh no, Oh no, Oh no..." she wraps her arms around me.

"Willow, it's ok." I tell her, whispering into her ear. She cries onto my shoulder for a while before poking her head up.

"I should have volunteered for you. You and Hudson are so close and only one of you will make it out." She says as I whip a tear off her cheek. "Or... none of you come out!" she starts crying again. I hadn't thought of that. I just assumed he would come out. But there's a chance he won't. I frown and hug her as she cries. Then the door opens and the peacekeepers pull her out of my arms.

"Try to win for me!" She screams as the door slams. I sigh and wait a few minutes before dad comes in.

"Oakley..." he starts but I wrap my arms around before he can finish. He smells of mint and sap, a good combination. He wears his favourite plaid shirt and a pair of grey jeans. Now I cry. But only slightly. I can't afford to cry.

"You make sure to take really good care of her." I tell him referring to Willow. "And make sure Fox gets all the love you can give him." This is going to be hard on them both." I tell him. He nods and I continue. "If I don't make it out of the arena." I pause and he looks at me expectantly. "What do you want me to say to mom?"

He looks at me with sorrowed eyes. "Tell her, I'm sorry." I don't ask him what he means, I just nod. He squeezes me tightly as I sob, until the peacekeepers pull him off of me and I whip my face on a towel strategically placed on the table below me. I follow the peacekeepers out of the town hall and onto the train where I take a seat beside Annabeth and Hudson across from her. This is when I have to think I tell myself.

****

On the train I sit on the velvet couch next to Hudson. He looks around nervously. Johanna and Pliny-our mentors- talk to us about the other tributes. Apparently District 1 and 2 have good tributes this year. Not so much for 4. Although Pliny thinks the boy could be good. He also says he's good looking, he said this looking directly at me, and winking, which angers me. We eat dinner in silence except for the odd exchange from Annabeth and snarky comment from Johanna. After dessert I head to bed, stopping to give Hudson a hug.

****

When we arrive at the capitol I follow Johanna to the prep areas. She must have a permanent frown I think to myself. Her bushy hair is pulled back into a rough ponytail and she wears a green t-shirt. She leads me to a large sectioned part of the even larger room.

"Get changed into this and lie down." She tells me pointing to a hospital looking dress and the metal table in the centre of the room. I nod and she walks out of the room closing the curtain. I change into the gown and lie down on the table. After a few minutes of lying on the cold metal table three colourfully dressed people walk in. They whisper a bit before talking to me.

"My, my! Aren't you just a lovely little rose!" One of them chirps. "I'm January! You head prep artist!" The lady says, she wears an ice blue dress that puffs out around her waist. Her curly hair is in an afro and it's dyed blue. Her eyes are decked with jewels and her long lashes too.