Chapter six

Oakley POV:

Alliby dresses me in a long green dress that goes all the way to the ground. The dress is dark green and has black leather trimmings. It has two tank top straps and has a large v-neck showing the start of my breasts. Alliby looks impressed with himself as he fixes the last few touches on my dress before handing me the bouquet.

"Ah! A masterpiece! Such a lovely look on you! Ah! My best work!" Alliby cheers, I smile.

"It's lovely, thank you." I tell him.

"You're welcome!" Alliby exclaims. "Ah! Look at the time! We better get going so you're not late for your parade!" I had totally forgotten about the parade, all of us in our elaborate outfits and the beautiful dark horses. He leads me to an elevator where we join the 12 boy on the way down. He looks to be about twelve years old and his stylist is wearing by far the largest dress ever. The boy is covered in nothing but sutt. I catch myself staring at his sutt-covered self. I shake my head and look straight. The door dings as it opens and Alliby leads me over to our chariot, where two gorgeous white horses stand with green glitter on their backs, our black chariot has a big number seven painted on it. Hudson appears with his stylist. Alliby and her chat while Hudson and I chat.

"At least we're not trees." Hudson says referring to our long green outfits, he wears a suit instead though. I can't help it, I laugh. And out of the corner of my eye I see the 2 girl staring at me. I shrug it off and continue talking with Hudson. Alliby looks up as a loudspeaker comes on.

"Tributes please get on your chariots." I board the chariot with the bouquet in my hand and grab hold of the Railing. We wait for the first six districts to pull out and then we follow in after them. The horses pick up speed as if they were programmed too. The hooves clunk on the concrete ground in a rhythmic beat. The crowd roars and I find myself raising my hand and waving at them. I blow kisses and wave and smile. Hudson just looks as still as a stone. He always has had stage fright I think to myself. Not a great quality for a tribute. We reach the end of the pathway and the horses stop. I glance over at the other tributes, stopping at 2. The girl looks at me as well, I smile at her and her stare moves away.

****

When I get up into our rooms I flop down on the bed. I don't feel like socialising with anyone right now. I just wanna think. I finally get up and change out of my dress. Then I change into a plain green shirt and black cargo pants. I sit down on my bed and find a small remote. The remote apparently lets us find a setting through the window to see. I flip through a few and then decide on one. Beautiful woods. It reminds me of home. My dad. My sister. My dog. Home. Soon I hear a heavy knock at my door.

"Who is it?" I ask.

"Hudson," His calming voice echoes in my head.

"Come in," My voice cracks mid sentence and I'm fighting back tears. He enters and I walk into his warm embrace. "How are we going to do this?" I cry.

"I don't know," He says. "But we have to think of something."

"You should win." I whisper to him.

"No Oakley, you should win." He whispers back. "You have more options in life than I do."

"No. That's not true, you could literally be anything our District allows! What do you think if we try for two winners?" I ask him.

"They would blow us up right on sight." he sighs, and I know he's right. They would blow us up. "Why don't we sleep on it and discuss it in the morning? Ok?"

I nod. Hudson lets go of me and walks towards the door, only stopping when he opens it slightly.

"Oakley, I love you." And he walks out the door, closing it behind him. I crumple onto my bed, a heap of emotional mess.

****

The next morning I wake up starving. I didn't eat dinner last night. Big mistake. I pull on a pair of pyjama pants and a baggy oversized sweater, that looks like it could be my dads. I make my way to the dining room and sit down with everyone. Only Johanna and Pliny are there, two Avoxs stand in the corner but that's it.

"Ah, Johanna! We have an early bird!" Pliny smiles as I pull the chair back. I roll my eyes.

"Oakley, did you sleep well?" Johanna asks.

"Yes." I say shoving a piece of toast into my mouth.

"Ah." She doesn't even seem to be listening. I eat my breakfast as slowly as I can. I want to be here when Hudson wakes up. Just as I'm finishing my last buttered bagel, Hudson walks in looking like a run over squirrel.

"Woah, what happened to you?" Johanna asks.

"Couldn't sleep." He answers, pulling up a chair across from me. We eat the rest of our meal in silence.

"Go dress in the cloths Alliby left for you on your beds." Pliny tells us when we finish breakfast. I disperse into my room to find a black and red shirt and pants with the number 7 on them. I dress quickly then brush my matted hair before putting it in a simple ponytail. Then, I leave for the elevators with Johanna, Pliny, and Hudson.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry for not being active! We had a busy weekend but are back now!