Chapter five

Athena POV

I wake to a knocking on my door.

"Morning is here, and so is your new day at..." she pauses for a moment then continues "the Capital!" Masill's shrill voice cuts through the air as my knife would. Sharp. I sit up in bed and rub my eyes. I'm surprised the light pouring through my window didn't wake me sooner. I hop out of bed and change into a plane black t-shirt and cargo pants. The outfit that was in the dresser. After I'm changed I pocket my necklace and leave my bedroom. In the dining room, Brutus and Wade are eating stacks of pancakes and waffles. I'm not hungry so I don't eat anything. We finally arrive at the Capital and I'm blown away by the amount of people waiting for our train to arrive. Wade walks over to the window I'm standing at. I walk away over to the door to the train as it comes to a stop. The door swings open and Masill walks out first followed by Enobaria and Brutus. I walk out after Enobaria and Wade behind me. I smirk at the crowd and hold my head a little higher. Just then, I feel an arm sling across my shoulders. Fuming, I push Wade's heavy arm away from me and hurry towards Enobaria. Once we get inside, we are separated into rooms. Enobaria tells me to dress in a thin gown and once she leaves I do. I lay down on the silver table and wait. A short lady wearing a pink dress that spikes out around the waist enters the room. Her hair is spiky and a light shade of pink. After her, a tall thin lady wearing a yellow skirt and blouse, then, a stocky man with turquoise hair and a blue shirt and dress pants. They introduce themselves as Rizzy, Enada, and Heaver.

"Let's start with the wax, shall we?" Heaver asks the other two. Rizzy walks over to a draw and grabs a bunch of strips. Enada looks at me expectanly but I don't know why.

"Well?" She says. Then I realise. I take the thin gown off and cross my arms over my chest, feeling quite uncomfortable.

"Don't be shy! You have a beautiful body! Lovely curves," Heaver says, examining me. I want to punch him right now. I know my face must be bright red. I slowly remove my hands and grimace. I hate sharing my body. They wax me (which hurts like a bitch) and wash me with multiple soaps. Then they move on to my hair.

"You have lovely hair," Rizzy says.

"Mhh," I grumble. They rinse my hair out and give me a robe to wear. Putting my hair in a towel. While I dry off, Rizzy and Enada shape and paint my nails black with little gold flames. Heaver drys and puts lots of sprays in my hair. When they finish they step back to examine their work.

"Rizzy, go get Lito. He's gonna love her!" Heaver says excitedly. Rizzy leaves to go get my main stylist, Lito. She returns with a short man with greying hair following behind her. HE looks me up and down then says,

"I haven't seen one this pretty in a while," He grins. I grit my teeth in frustration. Lito mesures my waist, shoulders, neck, and arms, before heading out of the room, taking my prep team with him. When he returns he's alone. He holds a dress bag in his hand and hangs it up next to me.

"First, I'm going to style your hair," He informs me. He starts by brushing it, then putting yet more sprays and creams in it. Finally, he begins to style it. He twists my hair and ties it at the back of my head, leaving the rest of my hair to flow. Then he grabs the dress bag and tells me to remove my robe. I do and when I turn around I see the beautiful black dress with silver glitter in Lito's hands.

"Isn't it lovely?" He asks.

"I guess," Is all I say, although I do think it's lovely. I put the dress on and Lito makes some adjustments.

"I found this in the pocket of your other clothes," He says, holding up my necklace. "I want you to wear it." He puts the necklace around my neck and turns me to face the mirror. I do look quite pretty. The dress falls just to my knees and leaves my shoulders bare. The shoes are silver high heels. I hate walking in high heels. Lito takes me to the elevator and we go down to the ground floor. When I get out I see Enobaria, Brutus, and Wade all standing in front of a chariot with striking black horses with silver glitter on their backs. Other tributes are gathered around their chariots. I sneak a glance at District 1 and 4. The tributes from 1 look promising, but for 4, the girl looks useless, and the boy, well, maybe he isn't as weak as he looks. Lito walks me over to our chariot and I stand as far from Wade as I can. The tributes from one wander over and their mentors–Gloss and Cashmere–introduce them as Lillian and Felix. Felix ligers at my side, uncomfortably close, smirking and whispering in my ears, while Lillian chatters away with Enobaria and Cashmere. I see Wade glaring at Felix and wonder why? We will be a team in the ring. So why does he have to act so retarted. I roll my eyes at Wade and walk over to the horses. I pet their soft noses and they blow their warm breath over my hands. I look up to see the chariot across from ours. I spot a girl in a green dress. She is laughing with a frizzy haired boy.

"What District are they from?" I ask no one in particular.

"7. They are the lumber District. Usually useless, but cunning nonetheless," Lito answers.

"Hm," Is all I say. I don't know why but I feel like I know the girl. Although I have never been to 7 and I'm sure I have never met her before. Lito then announces for us to board the chariots. Felix and Lillian leave with Gloss and Cashmere. Wade gets in first and offers me a hand but I ignore him and climb in on my own. The music starts and District 1 pulls forward. Into the crowds of cheering people. Next, I feel our chariot lurch forward. The horses pull us out of the dark.

"Smile babe," Wade smirks at me. I make a mental note to rip his throat out later.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aghh that was kinda cringy. LOL