Chapter eight

Oakley POV:

I crowd into the elevator with Johanna, Pliny, and Hudson. Pliny reaches forward and presses a button and the doors close on us. I've never been the biggest fan of elevators but it doesn't really matter. We make our way down floors and I find myself counting. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, stop? The elevator doors open and four more people walk in. Must be one, I tell myself. I recognize their mentors, Gloss and Cashmere. Their brother and sister, as well, won back to back games. At least they had a chance to both win. I roll my eyes. The 1 girl stands next to me has long, wavy blonde hair that goes to her shoulders, she has bright blue eyes and the way she stands, you can tell she has a lot of personality.

"Hi! I'm Lillian! Man, I just adore your hair colour! Is it natural!?" She asks, grabbing my ponytail gently and holding it up.

"Uh ya." I say quietly.

"Oh wow! That's so cool how it's like a darker kinda colour at the top! Wow!" She says, letting my hair fall through her fingers.

"Uh thanks." I say, I let my eyes fall to her shoes, just regular black sneakers, what we all are wearing.

"This is Felix! He's our other tribute!" My eyes shoot up to the male 1 tribute. He's tall and muscular. He also has bright blue eyes and short curly blonde hair.

"Hey," he winks at me, I blush and lower my eyes, biting my lip slightly. Oakley Bass! Don't you dare start crushing! I scowled myself. The elevator stops again and we all walk out, leaving our mentors behind. Felix walks up beside me and slings his arm across my shoulders.

"So you're 7?" he asks, his face close to mine. "Are you handy with a weapon?" He asks.

"You could say that," I smirk at him. "What about you?"

"Ya, I guess I'm kind of good with the machete." He shrugs. I turn to face him and his arm falls.

"Well than Felix. I'll see you around." I smirk and strut off towards the axe area. I pick up an axe with a long handle and a light blade, just what I'm used to. I walk to the edge of the mat and fiddle with the controls. I feel a slight tap on my shoulder and whip around, hoping for Felix, but instead find the boy from 2.

"So. You're handy with an axe?" He asks.

"Ya, you could say that." I glare at him.

"The girl in my district wants you with the careers." He says, I give him a confused look. Why would she want me?

"Really? Is that so?" I ask him, cocking my head to the side.

"Ya, anyways, she's pretty obsessed with me so I better get back to her." He says pointing behind him. "Get a good score and you'll be a career!" He says over his shoulder. I roll my eyes and continue with the controls. Once it's all set up I walk onto the mat and listen to an automated voice countdown as doors I didn't know were there close.

"Three, two, one. Begin!" The voice chimes. A person made of yellow blocks appears in front of me. I swing my axe at it and hit it in the torso. The block person crumples down and the next one pops up. This one is crouching down so I bring the axe behind me and throw it down and through the person's skull. It breaks apart and the next person appears. Their weapon is behind them and they're jumping off an invisible platform. I duck down and roll slightly across then pop back up and chuck my axe at the block person. It hits it right in the back and falls to the ground. I smirk then pick up my axe preparing for the next person. I hear the sound of the person running behind me and whip around to see another block person. I duck down to avoid a swing from the bat and cut the person's legs. They fall down and the next one appears. I spend another five minutes in the training room before the block people stop coming and I walk out. When I emerge I notice the careers staring at me. They all are looking at me approvingly. Lillian gives me a thumbs up and a flashy, white, smile. The 2 boy nods, Felix smirks, and the 2 girl just stares, averting her eyes when I catch them. I smirk and wave at them, they turn around and continue their conversation. I grab a glass of water from the refreshment stand and then make my way over to some of the agility training. I wait for the 12 boy to finish climbing the blocks and then I jump up onto the first one. Then I sprint across the block and jump off it and onto the next. I sprint and jump, again, and again. Until there's one left. I hurl myself towards it but come up short, my hands grasp onto the edge of the block for dear life as I try to pull myself up. My hand slips though and I find myself falling. I fall all the way down onto the hard mats. I hit the ground hard and wince as the breath is knocked out of me. I roll onto my side clutching my stomach, wishing for my breath to come back. Hudson runs over to me and crouches down beside me.

"Oakley! Are you ok?" He asks breathlessly. I groan in response and the trainer appears behind him.

"Hey! Get up! You're in the way!" He barks at me.

"Leave her alone! She's injured!" Hudson barks back. Then , Lillian appears behind me.

"Oh no! Oakley! Let me help you up!" She says, placing her arms in my armpits. She gently helps me into a sitting position and I rub the back of my neck. "Do you think you can stand?" She asks, I nod.

"Let me help as well." Hudson says. Together they hoist me to my feet, steading me with their arms.

"Ship it." I smile at them. Lillian drops her arms and brushes her hands on her pants, blushing.

"Fuck off." Hudson says playfully punching my arm.

"Ow!" I exclaim.

"Oops! Sorry!" He chuckles.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey! It's Oakley's author! This was such a fun chapter to write! But I have to know! Am I the only one who ships Hudson and Lillian? Hope you enjoy! <<<<3