Chapter Forty-two | The Coup d'état

MIDORIYA'S FEARS have appeared before him. Bakugou has decided and he had not decided well as he had announced that he will be marching to Glacia by the time the troops were armed and ready. Preparations have started, the people were taxed heavily again, and General Aizawa has been called. This is what Midoriya has been dreading.

"General," the green-haired scholar greeted the general as soon as he descended his horse.

Aizawa wore multiple emotions but his air of hopelessness stood out the most. And it truly showed when he started walking with Midoriya towards the throne room.

"I take it that you have thought many plans for this, general." Midoriya tried to ease the tension.

Aizawa scoffed, "Of course, I have. Not that I didn't have much choice for this matter."

"You sound like you don't like this part of the job."

"Well Midoriya, I don't think a person who is tasked to send hundreds of people to their death with his plan would like this part of the job."

Midoriya gulped, sensing he is not easing the tension at all. Instead, he's only tightening the strain on Aizawa's nerves. But before he could even think, his mouth had opened and spewed words he would probably regret.

"You should stop this then."

Aizawa turned and gave him a confused stare which soon turned into a glare. They stopped walking and Aizawa began to tower over the scholar.

"Do you think I wouldn't have stopped this if I could?" Aizawa seethed. Midoriya immediately backed down and lowered his head from shame.

"Forgive me, general. It was just..." He tried to find a word for it but from the bustle of his many emotions, Midoriya feared he cannot have any words for his actions.

Thankfully, Aizawa had backed down and his glare had gone. He now holds the same hopeless look which Midoriya has come to mirror.

"It is all right, Midoriya. I wish the same thing as you," the general said. "I wish a day will come in which our King would finally side to reason."

Midoriya nodded weakly before saying, "I am sorry."

"But why must you be sorry?"

"I cannot convince him enough. To tell you honestly, general, I am also quite torn upon this matter. I wanted (Name) and her child to be avenged, however..."

"No," Aizawa interrupted him. "You, (Name), both of you are not like that. You would want to seek justice, yes, but not at the price of a thousand soldiers dead."

Midoriya's mind wandered towards (Name) and yearned to seek answers on her views about Bakugou going to war. He knew his impulsive actions like these were what led her to present the idea of a coup and Midoriya wondered if (Name) now has enough vigor to make it come true. But right now, Midoriya also knew she was far too broken to even think about this; another reason for their lack of hope.

"I just wish there is another way."

It was silent and all of a sudden, Midoriya was slowly yanked away from his position. Aizawa had placed a hand on his shoulder.

"There must be." He said, hinting something. "My duty is to lead men to their deaths, Midoriya while yours, well, yours is to aid reason as to why my duty is not the most ideal. I want you to live up to it."

"Are you suggesting...?"

"Yes, I shall go and speak to Bakugou about my plans. There is no stopping this part now. But I believe you can still do something, this time bring reason to (Name)."