Ch 3: Part II - Dr. McAllister

It felt like the moment Charlie was out the door with Danny and Everett, I could breathe again. Watching Zane, knowing he was going through the phase but fighting it, and watching Charlie try and fight it herself was gut wrenching. Our perfectly constricted Operation Valhalla was deteriorating before my very eyes and there was nothing I nor Commander could do about it.

"Jason?" Dad's voice was hesitant. "Mind having a beer with your brother and I out back?" I glanced towards Liz, who was in conversation with Mom about Sunday dinner. They usually had a cup of tea of coffee after dinner when Mom and Dad came over. Tonight would probably be no different.

"Sure thing, Dad." He didn't speak again until we were outside and the beers were cracked open.

"Son, you know I wouldn't normally ask except that it's starting to really wear on your mother." I glanced towards Zane, who was glaring into space, his jaw clenched tightly. "Your brother has been having-."

"Night terrors and Mom's rattled because of my screaming." Zane finished angrily, clenching the beer bottle in his hand so hard I could swear I'd heard a crack. The fact that it remained in one solid form still shocked me. Were there thoughts of Charlie swirling in his head, even now, calming the Viking while simultaneously riling him up because he'd been hardwired for the blond? Or were the thoughts of the blond, who he still hadn't contacted? If I was a betting man, I know where I'd place my money. "Dad's going to ask you if he can pawn me off on you. Told him I'd be much more comfortable in my own place, or an apartment at the very least."

"You can stay, little brother." Having him here, I could monitor progress and intervene as needed. I also had supplies at home in case I had to bring work home with me – which is why there's a basement level that even Liz or Charlie knew nothing about, courtesy of Uncle Sam. If this was going to work, and have a meaningful impact on Operation Viking, I had to be on board with this, regardless of how much I wanted Charlie to have a normal life. The moment then-pregnant Liz had volunteered for Operation Valhalla nearly eighteen years ago, though without the knowledge of to what extent the damage would be, she'd sealed Charlie's fate. And my brother being a stubborn fuck had sealed his own fate. He was their prize pony, and there were men who had, in not so many words, assured me that he had to pass this final test. He was the future, ever fast that it was evolving. "Liz is a deep sleeper, and Charlie's so tired most nights I'm not even sure how she manages to make it upstairs to her room." Dad chuckled, tipping the beer back. Could probably see Charlie in his head right now, tiredly trudging up the stairs with her backpack thrown over her shoulder. In the last four years of high school, that had been a normal sight.

"Thanks man." He cleared his throat and tossed back a mouthful of beer. "I don't know how long-."

"All the time you need, bro." He nodded once, but I could tell there was something else on his mind. "What's up?"

"I've been looking at houses, out in the country." He confessed, appearing for the moment as the little brother I remembered from six years ago. Arrogant, cocky, but with a humble center. If the next six months went bad, no one would ever see that side of him ever again. "I think a nice big house out in the woods would be far enough away from town that I'd be able to hear my own thoughts again." Dad chuckled, raising his beer in agreement.

"Let me know if you'd like any help with that." He inclined his head at my words.

"Feels nice, having the family whole again." Dad muttered. Couple minutes later, Mom peeked her head out and informed us she was ready to get home to catch her nightly soap operas. Dad bid us goodnight and headed out.

"You drove here?" I asked Zane when he remained seated. He nodded. "I've got a guest bedroom upstairs. It's connected to Charlie's room through the bathroom, but she's a quiet kid so she shouldn't be a bother. Liz and I are on the first floor, so you shouldn't worry about waking us. I've got meds downstairs, so if you ever need a sleeping aid-."

"Nice to know I have the hookup." His voice was dark. Their idea of recruiting him had been telling him I was involved. Naturally he had to do whatever I did, and better. Being sixteen years older than him, he always felt he had something to prove by besting me at everything when he was growing up. But in this? We both benefited from the right outcome. I just needed to focus and figure out how to ensure their pairing worked out, even if it meant tinkering with him like a test subject.

"I've got an extra copy of the housekey in the kitchen. Liz and I planned a spur of the moment weekend trip so she can relax, we'll be leaving here shortly. Charlie is usually out Friday and Saturday nights, so you'll have the house to yourself most of the weekend. You can take your time moving in." When he nodded, I got up and headed inside to have a talk with Liz about the new arrangements.

As we pulled out of the drive, I couldn't help the smirk when I caught sight of Charlie's window. She'd left her light on, and you could see the devil figurine she'd made in art class one year sitting on her windowsill. If there was anyone who could give Zane a run for his money, it was her.