Ch 3: Part IV - Zane

I was sitting in front of my terrarium watching Gearhead munch on the worm I'd given him when I heard the truck pull up outside. I moved to the open window, glad it faced the woods instead of the street. I caught the scent of her on the air, along with Danny, another male, weed, blood... I felt my teeth begin to ache. A knock on the door of my mind.

Not tonight, fucker.

We want her.

I said no.

The front door shut downstairs, and I nearly stopped breathing when I heard the deadbolt slide home. He was pounding at the door now, demanding control. I didn't dare move from my spot beside the window. I glanced towards the cracked doorway that led into the bathroom. I'd forgotten to turn the light off after my shower. Her bedroom door was opening, her scent stronger now. I was truly fighting to hold him in. Being close to her was so hard, but I craved it so much.

You know I can hear better, see better, than you.

I said no.

I was on the verge of losing now that she was in the bathroom. Without realizing, I'd moved to the door, standing just beside it so I could hear and see her.

She'll never know we're watching, if you let me take over.

You'll also be free to taste her. It's too soon.

She was singing softly to herself, rubbing lotion into her skin. Frankincense and turmeric; I could smell it from where I stood. Smart girl. She smelled of sweat and blood; her blood smelled amazing. It wrapped around me, causing my control to slip.

Just one taste. She won't even know what hit her.

No.

Someone was calling her.

"Hey, Danny. What's wrong?"

"Nothing." He paused.

He's nervous about something.

No shit; even I know that.

"Mom locked me out of the house. Do you think Everett and I could-"

"Sure man, the downstairs rooms are open. Bring cigars, though. I'm out." She continued humming to herself, the tone soft and soothing.

I stayed awake watching for a long time. They'd gathered in the den, where Jason had let her set up some game consoles. They smoked weed and chatted about the fights tonight, about school. Some punk was hitting on Charlie, West, and Danny spoke about him with distaste. Good; he would protect her while she was in school, and I'd take care of the rest.

"...a truck in the garage, Charlie?" The male, Everett, started when he came back from outside, reeking of cigarettes.

"Probably just Mom's-"

"There's a truck parked beside your mom's SUV." When Danny and Charlie got up to follow him to the garage, I darted upstairs to my room and locked both doors. She could figure it out in the morning. I laid down, falling under quickly because I hadn't slept in nearly twenty-seven hours.