Ch 6: Part IV - Zane

At the mall, following Charlie, I ran into my high school girlfriend, Olivia. I'd stepped into a bookstore to wait for Charlie to pass when I caught the scent of someone familiar. I'd turned to find Olivia browsing the How-To books.

"Olivia." She turned, startled, before a smirk crossed her face at the sight of me. "How are you?" She glanced down, briefly touched her belly before taking a few steps towards me. Her belly was flat, but I could sense it.

She's pregnant, and not happy about it.

I know.

"Just, you know." She rolled her eyes, but I could feel the unhappiness. "Living the wild life, as my father says."

"You married?" She shook her head. Aw. Her father was the local priest – he'd always assured her she would be disowned if she got pregnant out of wedlock. Disowned meant no inheritance – the only thing he could hold over her head. "So what are you going to do with that baby?"

"Abortion."

"No." She rolled her eyes at me.

"We aren't in high school anymore, Zane. I won't blindly listen to you because you know how to use your dick."

"So you'd rather go out and get an abortion?" She shrugged.

That's exactly what she wants – a fresh start. Ending a life before it's even had the chance. She can't. You wouldn't dare allow Charlotte to do this to our child. You had feelings for this woman at one moment in time. Stop her your way, or we'll do it my way. I like my way better.

"And what if I do?"

"Don't do it, for me." She laughed bitterly.

"And what? I'm not looking for a man to play house with, Zane. I went out, got drunk, had sex, and the condom broke. A mistake all around."

"I'm engaged." I offered softly. Olivia was easier manipulated with soft nothings. "Have the baby, and I'll pay you. When the baby is born, you can walk away."

"Life's not that easy." She patted me on the chest as she moved to walk by me. I reached out and snatched her wrist, holding her in place.

"It is."

"Why do you care?" She demanded, stabbing me in the chest with her finger. "You always wore a condom with me – you never wanted kids. You always said that – you'd never have children. And that worked out good for my agenda. And now what? You grew a set of ovaries while you were overseas? You see enough orphans-"

"Stop." She instantly shut up, remembering the days when she hadn't and I'd made her choke on my dick for it. "What do I have to give you for you to agree?"

"Lie to my father and say it's yours so after I leave the kid with you, he'll still give me the inheritance from my mother. I'll disappear after that."

"Ok, but he's the only person we're lying to."

"That's right, you said you were engaged. Who is she? Quincy Derns?" Of course she would think of Quincy. When I'd found Olivia, my girlfriend of two years, in bed with my rival, Vicente, I'd fucked Quincy because she was Olivia's best friend. The only two girls I'd fucked in high school, and the thought had eaten at Olivia probably still now.

"You don't know her." She smirked, finally snatching her wrist out of my grip so she could cross her arms over her chest. "So? Do we have a deal?"

"As long as I get my inheritance, you can have this kid."

"I want it in writing." She winked at me. I reached out and gripped her arm in warning. "I'm not playing with you, Olivia. If anything happens to that kid because of you, your father will be the least of your worries. I want a healthy baby, so that means healthy mommy. Where are you staying right now?"