Ch 6: Part II - Charlotte

{Two Months Later}

The last handful of weeks had passed me by, quite literally. Each morning, I woke up with Zane wrapped around me like a pretzel, sleeping peacefully. At breakfast, we avoided each other while also trying not to make it obvious we were avoiding each other. Then, I was off to school with Danny. After school, I avoided coming home and just went straight to the gym Monday through Thursday because Zane liked to sit and watch me do homework when we were home at the same time. Honestly, I was becoming addicted to being watched by him, addicted to being around him. After the classes at the gym, I would come home, shower before dinner so after dinner I could work on my homework at the dinner table to avoid being in my room. After homework, I usually fell into bed exhausted. But never too exhausted not to hear him come in at night and slip into bed with me and pull me close. I always waited until his body relaxed into sleep before allowing myself to doze off. He only had nightmares when we slept in our own rooms, or he fell asleep before I came to bed – though neither of those happened often.

Two months after meeting Zane, on my eighteenth birthday, I woke up and packed my duffel and school bag before he even got out of bed. On the nightstand on the side he'd claimed, I set the little ocean-colored diamond ring on top of his phone before running out of the house and outside to where Danny was already waiting, calling my goodbye to the parents as I passed them in the dining room. On Fridays when I left for school, I usually didn't come back home until very early Saturday morning. I wasn't sure what Mom and Dad thought I was doing, but they knew I was with Danny and they could check in on us at any time, though they never did. Now that Zane lived with us, Dad had convinced Mom that me having more freedom was ok, and I no longer got questioned every time I tried to leave the house. My conditions were I couldn't let my grades fall below a B.

"Happy birthday!" Danny, Everett and Abe announced together when I slid into the front seat. I threw Abe and Everett a smile over my shoulder.

"Thanks guys."

"In honor of your birthday, we've decided to skip school today and take a weekend trip." I frowned at Danny's words. "Not to worry – Uncle Jason and Aunt Liz know. I talked to them last week about it – and seeing as you've been working your ass off so much lately, they agreed it would be good for you to get a break."

"And where are we going, exactly? What about Friday Night-"

"We're heading to the mountains. Mom rented us a cabin for the weekend." Danny interrupted. When I glanced back at Abe and Everett, they smiled. Mass text yesterday said Friday Fights would be in the mountains at the campground.

"You guys knew about this?" They nodded. "I'm not even packed-."

"Like your bank account can't afford to take a hit." Abe muttered. I reached back and punched him. "Come on, you're loaded! Just buy whatever you need for this trip, Char."

"I'm saving that money." I muttered darkly, turning to face the windshield. I crossed my arms over my chest.

"Saving for what?" Danny asked curiously.

"A house, and a car. I can't ride around with you forever."

"Yes you can." He assured me, socking me lightly in the shoulder. "I'll take you to all your dates, all those weird shops you like visiting-"

"They're not weird!"

"-and even, on your wedding day, I'll drive you to the church." I rolled my eyes when they started laughing. "Speaking of wedding, I saw you blow West off again yesterday." I sighed in response.

"I thought you warned all the guys off me." I added accusingly.

"West is bigger than me, so the threats didn't work." He offered with a shrug of his shoulder. We all fell silent when the blue lights went off behind us about five minutes later. Danny pulled over, all of us subdued. In the last two months, this same cop had stopped us at least five times. Once, or twice, ok maybe. But more than two? I didn't believe in coincidences.