Chapter 4

I shot my eyes open and my breath hitched in my throat. My body was shivering, I couldn't stop it. I listened closely, it went quiet again. I could feel my silver irises rise to the surface. "What's happening? Why is my disguise wearing off?" I whispered to Lyra. "It was that pack worrier's knife, it damaged our defence and its slowly coming apart" Lyra explained.

'Snap'

I heightened my hearing and I could make out the sound of several wolves panting. "They can smell your blood" Lyra realised. I tried shrinking into the corner until my body could no longer shrink any further. I heard the hut door creek and raised my head, quietly to see what it was. There was a snout, sniffing hard at the air inside. I scrunched my eyes and curled even tighter. Suddenly the door was open fully and I felt a rush of cold air flood inside. I sensed a huge wolf was standing by the door, slowly making its way in. I hope it can't see me! I felt air panting on my face and a deep voice boomed in my ears.
"Shift, now!" I whimpered and didn't move. I was stronger in my wolf form. A growl came from the wolf, and I felt him come closer down to my ear.
"If you don't shift, I'll kill you". Suddenly, sharp teeth bit into my side and I was dragged out of the hut. I struggled and tried moving, but he bit harder. I yelped and was thrown across the ground. I could feel my silver fur coming through. Suddenly my disguise was gone, and I was a silver wolf. I stared at the wolves in front of me and they just stared back. I growled quietly and clenched my sides where I was bitten. There were three huge, dark wolves staring at me. Slowly two stalked over to me, I tried looking for the third one but it had vanished. I felt myself starting to panic and my ankle and side were so painful to move. When they got closer I kept shuffling backwards, until I hit something hard behind me. Suddenly a small sharp pain shot up my neck and I could taste a metallic flavour in my mouth. My eyes turned heavy and my body became limp. The only thing I could see were the two massive wolves coming close to me and then I fell into darkness.