Chapter 11

I could hear the wolves gaining on me from behind. I couldn't swim through it, I would be washed away. There wasn't a bridge for me to cross either.
Dead end.

However, I ain't going down without a fight. Maybe I could just trick them into believing I was some other wolf? I quickly changed my fur to a dirty brown colour, giving the illusion that I was in a bad condition. They wouldn't care if a wolf was in a dying state, they'd ignore it, or kill it. Well, hopefully they'll just ignore me, if they try kill me I'll fight them, even if they are Xavier's warriors.

I laid under a tree, I put on a weak, limp act.  I heard the thudding of paws grow louder as they were catching up to me. I saw four huge wolves run to the river, they were Xavier's hunters.  They sniffed the air, staring at the river. They probably thought I was dumb enough to jump in.. How insulting.

Two of the wolves ran off down the other side of the river and the other two stayed.
A fast breeze blew from behind me and one wolf sniffed the air, snapping it's head in my direction.
I quickly looked away and slowly pressed my back further into the tree. The wolf strode over to me, a blank expression imprinted on its face.
See, what did I say? They don't care about dying wolves. It made its way over to me and stared closely at me.
I blinked and looked at it straight in the eye, suddenly a loud howl escaped it's mouth and I heard the footsteps of the three wolves from before.
They had trapped my every angle of escape. One wolf growled at me, I whimpered, purposely loud enough for them to hear. They turned heads and looked at each other, before sniffing me again and walking away.
Wow, that was a lot easier than I thought. And there was me thinking I'd actually have to fight them and-

Suddenly four men appeared in front of me, interrupting my train of thought. One man with brown hair bent down in front of me, his green eyes staring intensely into mine.
"Firstly, you rogues aren't allowed in this territory, I would kill you right now but circumstances prevent me from doing so".
His voice slithering with venom.
He obviously doesn't know it's me.
"We're looking for a seventeen year old girl, blonde hair, black ripped jeans, wearing a hoodie? She's Alpha Xavier's mate and he needs her back, have you seen her?" He questions.

Why would he 'need' me, other than to boost his ego for having found his mate?
I stared into his eyes, I lifted my head weakly, shaking it slowly from side to side. The man waited a few seconds before standing up.
"Fine. But if you see her you will immediately inform Alpha Xavier." He said bluntly.

"You know, you are extremely weak and seeing as you are a rogue and it's my job to protect our pack from your sort, I see no reason not to kill you right now.." He stood up, lifting his leg in the air over my body.
Before he could kick me, I dodged out the way and growled at them. He looked taken back at first but quickly composed himself.

Lowering his head, his eyes darkened and I can see his wolf wanting to come out.
Before he could make the first move, I lunged towards him. Scratching my nails into his chest, he growled loudly and the rest of the guys transformed back into their werewolves. The first one lunged at me, I ducked my head, his wolf flying over my body. I ran towards the man I wounded, biting his arm before it wrapped it's hand around my neck, squeezing it's fingers around my wind pipe. I let out a strangled noise, staring at his smug face.
"Nice try rogue" he said before clenching his other fist and raising it in the air, angling it to strike my face - surely knocking me out or killing me.

But before he could punch me, I felt a strange feeling wave through my body, making the words 'give up' repeat in my head.
I sighed, not believing what I'm about to do - I allowed my silver irises to shine through, gleaming brightly into the mans face.

His green eyes widened and he lowered his fist and dropped me instantly. They all knew that Xavier's mate was a silver wolf, word got out i guess. My fur changed to its silver colour, I stood there standing my ground. They probably regret ever touching now. My wolf smirked, knowing they won't lay a finger on me. I turned and ran. They wouldn't dare tell Xavier that they were going to kill me, or the fact one of them pretty much strangled me so they may as well not bother chasing after me and pretend our little encounter never happened.

Nevertheless they were following after me. I ran behind a tree, shifting back to my human form. I came out from the tree, facing them head on. I crossed my arms, raised my eyebrow and smirked.
"Listen, I know your just doing your job and all, but I don't think alpha Xavier would be pleased if I told him that you strangled me, and was going to kill me? Do you? So here's the deal, If you let me leave and pretend you never found me, I won't tell Xavier what you did. Does that sound like a plan?" I said with the most sass and confidence I've managed so far.

The strongest looking guy, who i assume is the leader of the pack's warriors, looked dead into my eyes. The other wolves behind him looked at one another. A wolf from behind walked forward to the leader, he looked at him with a face of concentration. He's no doubt mind linking.

Suddenly a growl erupted the leader's chest, guess he didn't like my idea. The wolf quickly ran behind a tree, the others standing there, ensuring I didn't run away.
A tall muscular man appeared from behind the tree and walked over to me.
"He's your mate" he stated, a very angry expression on his face.
I was taken back but quickly composed myself.
"Yeah well.."
"No! You don't know what you're doing! Running away is pathetic, your only going to get caught"
I scowled at his words.
"Is that a challenge?" I asked.

"What? Alpha Xavier is the best thing your ever going to get? Why would you run away from that? He's your mate. Plus we need you to make our pack stronger."
Ahh that's the only reason why they're after me.
"Xavier isn't my mate! And I'd rather look out for myself then this pack" I blurted.
I shut my mouth instantly, not sure why that came out my mouth.
The wolves looked at each other confused. I took a step backwards, not sure what to do. Do I say something? Or should I make a run for it, again?

"Don't lie" he said in a deadly tone.
"Er.. I'm not" I fold my arms.
"Well I won't be.."
"What's that supposed to mean? You are his mate and you can't change that" he stated bluntly.
"Well I can't change who the moon goddess chose to be my mate, but that doesn't mean I can't refuse to be his mate" I said raising an eyebrow.
Suddenly the man grabbed both my arms and shoved my back against a tree.
"Hey!" I shouted angrily. "You know, doing this won't make Xavier any happier" I said.
"Listen girl. It's unfortunate Xavier had to be paired with you, trust me he was better off with Fiona but I guess the goddess made a mistake in choosing you." The man spat.
I felt my eyes turn watery. Why am I crying? I was the one running away, I'm hurting him.
"Well Alpha Shrek can have his Princess Fiona for all I care. I'm never trusting an alpha ever again, even if he's my mate." I reply.
"I don't care whether you can trust him or not, you're his mate and our future Luna, Fiona would have made a better one but beggars can't be choosers. Now, follow us and we'll take you back to Alpha and the pack house." He went to grab my hand and drag me away but I dodged him.
"Would poor Alpha Xavier like to hear how his 'unfortunate' mate was strangled, nearly killed, insulted and shoved into a tree by his trustworthy pack warrior? Or would poor pack warrior guy like it when he looses his job and pack because he was abusing his future Luna?" I asked.
He stared at me wide-eyed, knowing that if he takes me he knows I'll blab to Xavier.
"Cat got your tongue?" I say with a sarcastic laugh. I have one last glare and turned on my heel, walking away. Stupid dogs shouldn't have challenged me.
'Kate?' Lyra sounding shocked.
'What? I only lied and managed to escape some crazy wolves' I retorted.
I heard Lyra huff, I have a point.