Part Seven- A Moment of Two

Trigger warnings in the description

Caitlyn

I screamed awake from a bloodied nightmare, my breathing sharp and heavy as I trembled. Vi was up and alert beside me in less than a moment, her bandaged hands pulling me close by my shoulders. I sobbed brokenly into her chest, gripping onto her shirt, my knuckles white. "Violet, V-Violet, J-Jayce, there was blood everywhere, I couldn't breathe and he's gone and then you left and I-"

One hand held me close by the small of my back while the other ran through my hair softly, her voice gentle and soothing as she whispered to me. "Easy, easy, easy, Cait, I'm here, I've got you Cait, I'm here, it's okay, breathe..." Vi cooed to me softly, her words mirroring the ones I had offered all those weeks ago, my hands holding her face close before our almost-kiss as the Shimmer did its work to heal her body.

I clung to her, my mind flashing about maddeningly. "Don't- don't leave me, please, please..."

"Oh, Cupcake," she murmured, pulling me closer and tucking my head under her chin. "I'm not going anywhere. I won't leave you, never again. I promise."

I choked back a wail. "Never?"

"Never."

"You promise?"

"I promise," she whispered, her voice holding so much finality that my heart seemed to weld itself back together with nothing but her words. I shivered, and Vi leaned back slightly to lift my chin once again with her knuckles, her thumb coming up to trace delicately over my bottom lip.

My breath hitched as my body stilled, the skin under the pad of Vi's fingers burning as they brushed over my face. She leaned closer and slowly kissed the tears off of my blushing cheeks, her scarred lips soft and impossibly gentle as they swept away my anguish. However, once I caught a better glimpse of her face, my brows furrowed.

"Vi...?"

Her steely gaze was sorrowful, mouth curling downwards as she continued to thumb gently at my lip and my cheek. "I hate seeing you so distressed," she muttered, her eyes darting from my own down to my lips. She leaned closer so that our foreheads were touching, breaths clouding together. My heart raced, the source of my pain almost completely forgotten as desire thumped in my chest. "I hate seeing you so upset."

"C-careful there, Violet," I stuttered jokingly, involuntarily moving closer, my hand on her thigh. My voice was low. "Someone might think that you actually care."

Her throaty laugh sent my mind blazing. "I'm okay with that." I swallowed nervously, tongue darting out to wet my lips. Vi's eyes moved down to follow the movement, a smile gracing her features. "I like it when you call me Violet," she whispered, eyes hooded. A jolt went down my spine as the hand on my back lowered, pulling me closer.