3

"You're so sweet, Wonnie," Yujin gushed, tenderly holding the card in her hands. Wonyoung flushed a light tomato red.

A cartoonish oil pastel portrait of a puppy with floppy ears and a fluffy bunny beamed at her, surrounded by brightly coloured flowers. Yujin identified daisies and mini tulips.

"It's not the best, but you always draw things for me," she said, "and I wanted to do something for you."

Yujin flung her arms around Wonyoung.

"I love it!"

Wonyoung fell back as Yujin went limp, both of them falling back onto Yujin's bed.

"I'm really happy you like it. I spent years on this, you know?" Wonyoung said gleefully, holding Yujin's face. She welcomed millions of butterfly kisses, giggling.

"I'm going to keep this forever," Yujin said, sincerely.

.

"Are you gonna unpack that one?" Gaeul asked, pointing behind Yujin. She hummed and turned around.

A rectangular cardboard box a little flatter than the rest sat at the side.

"Nah. That's my old drawings."

.

"Wonyoung and Rei study at S.S."

The entire time she ran home, Gaeul had expected Yujin to have a meltdown, so it was underwhelming, to say the least, when Yujin continued cradling Azzo and coolly said, "Oh! Say hi to Rei for me."

Say hi to Rei for me.

But not Wonyoung.

"Are you okay with me going to the same college as her? I found out when another girl who invited me to eat lunch with her was friends with her too-"

"Gaeul, Gaeul," Yujin said, composed, "don't worry about it. I don't care. You further your education and be friends with whoever you want."

Gaeul's lips parted and stayed like that as she thought of what else to say. It seemed like Yujin was fine.

"Even Won-"

"Yeah. Even her. Just... enjoy your college life for me, 'kay? I'm fine, I promise."

Somehow, Gaeul didn't buy it.

Should she have kept her mouth shut?

I dunno...

It just seemed right to tell Yujin. Or at least, make her aware of it before she decided to visit her during classes and run into Wonyoung in a cruel twist of fate.

"Ah, we need eggs," Yujin pointed out. "Should I go get them? I forgot - I was painting all day."

She walked out, Gaeul in tail, and pointed at the little section of mural she'd drawn.

"I got Azzo because I drew that," she said. "He'll be a great addition to our home!"

"Oh, he will," Gaeul agreed. "And that's really pretty, Jinjin. You could paint more."

She decided to give Yujin some time alone to process it. When you're best friends with someone for eight years, you start knowing them just as well as they know themself.

"I'll go get the eggs. I have to pick up some fruits too, anyway," she said, sauntering past Yujin and unlocking the door again. "Be back in ten."

After the door clicked, Yujin relaxed her jaw.

.

Azzo is a Bichon Frise. The fur on his belly is downy and soft. Yujin just can't stop petting him.

She later finds out, a Bichon Frise's fur is very tear-absorbant.

.

Gaeul is not short. Yujin and the other girls are just extremely tall.

Without tiptoeing, she grabbed a bulk box of mini chocolate mushrooms from a shelf for Yujin, just in case the news had upset her to any degree, and put it in the basket along with the eggs and a few apples.

She jammed the key into the lock and turned.

"I got you some snacks," Gaeul called out. "Come out and eat them with me. Let's watch something!"

When there's no response, Gaeul thinks Yujin is asleep. But that's too good to be true any time of the day - she swears Yujin runs on sheer spite alone.

"It's chocolate mushrooms. Where's Azzo?"

Yujin lay on the floor under their lamp with Azzo in her arms, the puppy bounding about clumsily on young legs and licking her all over her face. Despite the excitement, Yujin was staring ahead blankly. Gaeul caught the glint of tears.

She crouched down, one hand out to pet Azzo. Azzo quickly directed his attention to Gaeul's hand, nipping at her fingertips.

"Are you okay?"

"I think I'm just sick, Gaeul."

"No, you're fine. It's the news about Wonyoung, isn't it?"

"Maybe. Her name sounds bitter still, so could you not say it?"

"Sure." Gaeul scratched her nape apologetically. "How should I refer to her then?"

"Don't."

"Don't refer to her?"

"Yeah. I think I just hate her a little too much."

"I thought you said you were over her?" Gaeul chided, sitting beside Yujin and collecting Azzo in her lap.

"I am," Yujin sighed heavily, sitting up as well. "It'd be stupid if I wasn't. We didn't even date that long. Plus, I was horrible to her."

"No, Yujin, you weren't. I had first row seats to every moment-"

"Alright, that's weird."

Gaeul smacked her shoulder. "You get what I mean. There wasn't a moment when you guys argued that you didn't immediately come home crying."

Yujin huffed again. "Hungry."

"Get up and go eat. I left the mushrooms on the table."

Azzo trotted after her.

.

It seemed like they'd be spending ages in the dance studio for weeks to come.

"This can't be happening," Wonyoung groaned, head in hands. Liz removed her lollipop from her mouth with a pop.

"Look, it's been five years. Surely things should be cooled down by now?"

"No Jiwon, you don't get it!" Rei exclaimed, leaning over. Then, lowering herself, she whispered, "I was friends with both of them from the first day they met. The whole thing was so messy."

"I can hear you, you know," Wonyoung said.

Rei shrugged.

"But still! It's half a decade! You can't hold grudges against someone you dated for less than a year five years ago, right?" Liz reasoned. "And what if - Yujin, was it? - transfers here?"

"She won't. That punk has had no interest in studying her whole life," Wonyoung snapped.

Liz and Rei looked at her simultaeneously.

Wonyoung clapped her hands loudly and stood up.

"Alright, let's stop talking about it. From the top," she said firmly, going over to the boombox to restart the music.

"Sounds like someone isn't over it," Rei murmured to Liz as they danced the first beats.