4

The next day was, in short, awkward, though Rei and Liz tried their best to lighten up the mood. It was like a grey cloud was floating over Wonyoung and raining down on her. She ate in silence, danced without a smile.

"Wonyoung, this is Gaeul, not Yujin," Rei reminded her as they walked to class.

"She lives with her. I bet they talk shit about me at night," Wonyoung said vehemently, scuffing her shoes as she walked.

"Woah, woah, when did your shock turn to anger? And don't take it out on poor Gaeul, she's a sweet girl," Liz tutted.

Right before they entered the door, Liz stepped in front of Wonyoung.

"Let's find you a blind date tonight, okay? Maybe that'll help you take your mind off stuff."

They sat in the fourth row.

Wonyoung wrote moodily, hunched over and chin rested on her wrist. She'd never been a great actress.

"Psst," Rei whispered to Liz. "Why'd you suggest that?"

"Well why not? She hasn't had a date since Yujin," Liz murmured, leaning over.

"That's exactly the point! She's clearly not over her. We can't force her into anything right now or she'll fold like a lawn chair-"

"Naoi Rei! Kim Jiwon! Stop talking!"

The two looked up, heat prickling on the backs of their necks. Liz's ears turned red.

"Sorry!" Rei apologised.

Wonyoung's head swarmed with thoughts she could barely make out. She'd hate to admit it, but at least three thoughts involving Yujin floated around in the space of her mind.

Dang-dang-dang-ddang

Saved by the bell, she thought, sandwiching her pen between her notebook pages and getting up.

During second period, Liz and Rei sat apart from Wonyoung, strategically because Gaeul had the same lesson as them.

"Hi, Wonyoung," Gaeul had started, trying to clear things up, "how've you been?"

It'd be petty for Wonyoung to have moved away as much as she wanted to, so she took a breath. "I'm alright."

Gaeul fiddled with her thumbs, a habit she'd had since middle school. "Um. I hope we can get along," she said nervously. "And I hope there's no bad feelings between us."

"Yeah, I know what you're trying to say. Me too. It's just been big news, that's all."

Gaeul breathed shallowly as the younger girl continued.

"It's just... been a lot. You understand." Wonyoung turned to Gaeul. "Let's be better friends this time."

Gaeul nodded and smiled. "I understand. Okay."

In Gaeul's pocket, her phone vibrated a few times. She ignored it, making a mental note to check it after class.

"I'm starving," she told Wonyoung after the lesson ended. "I feel like ramen."

Linking arms with Gaeul, Wonyoung walked out of the room. "Noooo," she whined, "we'll be dancing later. It'll get all tangled up in your stomach."

Behind them, Liz and Rei chuckled.

"Seems like they made up after all," Liz said.

.

Despite Wonyoung's chidings, Gaeul bought a large cup of spicy ramen and a stick of string cheese. She peeled it into strips and lay them across the steaming noodles so that they'd melt.