nine - janus

The holidays zip by faster than you would've liked, and before you know it, you're thrust back into school and into the last semester of your undergraduate degree.

It's been a couple of weeks without a lot of socializing, so when Hange invites you over, you agree nearly immediately. You're excited to see Hange, and seeing Erwin might be nice- and now that you and Levi have a truce, it won't be awful to see him too. 

The snow's not coming down today but it's certainly cold as hell, so finally getting in the door of Hange's house is a massive relief. "Hi!" you call, tugging your boots off. "I made it!"

"She made it!" you hear Hange holler, and then their head appears at the top of the stairs. "New year, new Vee?"

You scoff. "Hardly."

"Apparently, it's new year, new Erwin and Levi," Hange continues, and you throw your coat over the railing before you head up the stairs. "They've been to the gym four times this week! Although I think it's mostly been Erwin dragging Levi."

You're flashed back to the glimpse of Levi's abs you got in that motel room and you blink rapidly to get rid of the images. "Must be nice, having that time to yourself," you say. 

"It is! I'm going to remodel the place."

"Don't even think about it," Levi says as you come up to the top of the stairs. He's standing in the kitchen by the kettle, wearing a black hoodie and sweats. He glances up at you. "Tea?"

"Yeah, that'd be great," you say, surprised. "Thanks."

Hange grabs you in a hug. "It's so good to see you," they say brightly. "I've gone through half of the notebooks you got me for Christmas!"

"Seriously? What do you do to them?"

"You don't want to know," Erwin says, emerging from the hallway. He nods to you. "I assume you had a good holiday?"

You smile bitterly. "Not nearly long enough."

"Amen," Levi mutters.

"Want to watch some crappy reality television?" Hange suggests eagerly, bounding into the living area. "There's this new one called Too Much To Handle. They throw a bunch of hot people on an island and then tell them they can't fuck, and they get super pissed."

You laugh, and then you realize Hange's not kidding. "Wait, that's a show?"

"There's something with money involved, but yes, that's the main idea," Erwin says. He's putting together some platter of crackers and cheese. "It looks awful."

"And you..." you trail off, glancing around the group. "You guys watch this stuff?"

Hange nods vigorously. "It's our guilty pleasure."

"All started when Hange put on the first episode of some stupid reality dating show," Levi grumbles, moving towards the couches with tea cups in hand. He passes one to you before he moves to sit down. "Absolutely god awful. Stupid people."

"But engaging," Erwin supplies. "We had to know what happened next."

"And thus began our tradition!" Hange says with a flourish of their arms. "Bad reality shows so that we can feel good about ourselves."

You shrug, sitting down on the other couch. Hange collapses next to you. "Sounds awful. I'm in."

"Woo!" They sling an arm over your shoulders, nearly knocking your tea out of your hands. "We've got another one for the crew!"

"No one deserves that, not even you," Levi mutters.

Your lips twitch. "Wow."

Erwin sets a tray of food on the table in front of the television; Hange turns the screen on and starts to hunt for the show. "Does this mean you two are on amiable terms?" he asks, sitting down on the couch with Levi. "You two seem to be in better tolerance of each other."