CHAPTER 2: WE BURN BRIDGES

As my friends and I got off the bus, we realised that the entire bridge was in chaos.

People were salvaging what they could from their cars and some were running off with their families, but some people just jumped out of their vehicles and bolted. Everyone was screaming, children were crying, and a few people were on their phones, either calling 911 or taking pictures and videos.

So of course it didn't help when a zombie of two that had seen me rushed straight for our bus.

Our entire class, and about a hundred other people, made a run for it. Everyone bolted away screaming, and I would've done the same, but Hannah had pretty quick thinking. She grabbed me and Mac and said, "We need to hold those corpses off from getting to mortals."

"What?" Mac turned to her like she was crazy, but she kept her cool. The zombies that had seen us leapt on cars and jumped at us, but I threw fire at them. The zombies screamed and ran off, engulfed in flames, but on seeing what was going on, the other zombies rushed at us.

Immediately Hannah went commando. "Mac, we need a blockade," she turned to him, "Line up any empty buses and trucks behind us so that those things wouldn't get into the city."

Mac pursed his lips, but he nodded, "Yes, ma'am." He ran and started to push our bus to the edge of the bridge so he could form a blockade. He has superstrength, so apparently, he can do that.

Hannah looked at me. Even though I was secretly panicking, I couldn't help noting how calm her voice sounded. Her light brown eyes looked as grave as the grey sky above us, and her straight whitish-grey hair blew steadily in the wind. Seeing her look so serious, I couldn't help admiring her. "Can you create a wall of flames between us and them?"

I turned to the zombies, "Sure," and stretched both of my hands out, shooting jets of orange fire at the road a few feet in front of us and creating a line of fire. The line didn't stop them from rushing at us until I stopped and clenched my fists, concentrating on heating the flames. The flames rose and got hotter, flying up by several feet, and the zombies stopped on seeing how high the flames were burning.

I turned to Hannah, "Like that?"

She furrowed her brows, "You look like you've just seen a ghost," then she turned and jumped on top of a nearby car. "We stand guard here," she turned to me, "If any of the zombies somehow get through the flames, I'll lash them down," she reached into her cross-bag and pulled out a long horse-whip. She lashed with it, and orange sparks of lightning buzzed around its body.

She smirked and pulled out another weapon from her bag; a small double-edged dagger with a steel blade that gave off a small mechanical hum when she flicked a switch on it. I'd seen her working on it last summer. Back then she said she could throw it and it would boomerang its way back to her, but when she showed me all it did was almost slice Stan's head clean off.

Stan's a friend. More on him later.

I thought about summoning my sword, but my dream passed through my mind, and I decided against it. I was scared it wouldn't appear in my arms, and if I'd really lost it...Well, I didn't want to think about that.

A few zombies started to get restless and charged through the flames, but before they could get through I aimed my arms at them and summoned twenty feet of orange flames at them. The zombies screamed as they burnt to ashes, but others started to leap onto cars and jump past my wall of flames.

"Crap," I started to say, but Hannah immediately got to work. She threw her dagger at them, and its blades spun like helicopter blades, flying around in an unnatural pattern. It sliced off a zombie's arm and went through another's chest before beheading a third and flying back to her outstretched hand.