Chapter 13

It’s been one month after my breakdown.  Now I’m pretty much accustomed to my daily life as Aarav helps me in the household.  We generally take turns doing chores or help each other according to the situation.

It is today that we have to help each other according to the situation.  Even today being Sunday, Aarav has a client meeting.  So without waiting for him I complete the household chores.

I don’t have anything to do in particular so I think what to do.  I sit in the living room sofa after grabbing a random book from the shelf and started reading it.  I have the habit of  leaving books untouched for a long time so I started reading from where I left previously.

Half way through my reading I started getting distracted.  No more reading Naina, I say to myself as I keep the book down and reach for my phone only after making myself comfortable in the sofa.

The smell of coffee hits my nostrils.  I inhale it hungrily.

“Coffee is ready.”, Aarav says as he keeps the mug in the sofa table.

“When did you enter the kitchen?  I have been here the whole time and never saw you enter the kitchen.  And what about your meeting?”, I ask him.

“The meeting is paused for awhile.  You could say a coffee break.”, he lifts the coffee mug in his hand, “About me entering the kitchen, you were too busy or immersed in the book even though I was pretty much loud while getting down.”

He chuckles as he makes himself comfortable in the sofa. 

I sit up cross-legged in the sofa and reach for the coffee.  

“I’m sorry.  I didn’t notice you getting down the stairs.  But you could have called for me and I would have prepared you the coffee..”, I say with a little bit of disappointment in my voice.

He gives a toothily smile and says, “There is no need to be disappointed in yourself.  I have thirty minutes break so no need to worry.  So shall we enjoy the coffee now?”

I nod my head in approval.

“How about we go back to our room?”, he asks.

“But you were in the meeting right?  You should continue with your meeting after the break.”, I say.

“It’s so boring in the meeting.  Bring your laptop too and accompany me during the meeting.”, he says as he stands up and takes my free hand and pulls me up.

“OK, but you shouldn’t kick me out once the meeting starts, deal?”, I ask as I follow him upstairs.

He turns and looks in my eyes before smiling and nodding his head in positive.  

I bring my laptop to our room from the study before sitting in the in bed and pulling the duvet over me and connect my laptop to the Bluetooth.

“You are sitting in the bed?”, he asked doubtfully.

“Yes!”, I just nod sipping my coffee.

“No, that can’t be happening come sit next to meeeeee!”, he drags the ‘me’ making a pouty smile.

“No!  You should concentrate in the meeting.  I don’t want to be your distraction.”, I declare and put my Bluetooth in my ears and started hearing to the songs while searching for something that is worthy to watch.

I can feel the bed dip on the other side and there is no doubt it is Aarav.  I paused the music and turn towards him; I open my mouth to speak—

He smiles sweetly and that made my mind totally blank.

”I won’t be distracted.  I just need a company.  I just need a shoulder when I’m tired and restless about the meeting.”, he says with a cute baby face he can make and holds my right hand and swings it pleadingly, like a child that asks his mother for the chocolate.

Who could deny such a cute pleading?  

Maybe you could, but I can’t.

We both talk over the coffee till his laptop dings indicating the start of meeting and I go back to using my laptop.

The meeting for him lasted for like one and half an hour, in which he just kept on playing with my hands and while resting his head on my shoulder.  Occasionally he would sit up to on the video and speak up but he never let go off my hand. 

It was one in the afternoon while we ate our lunch.  He got a call from his colleague and he had to answer it.  I was sitting in the dining room and waiting for him when he motioned his hand indicating, he might take longer time to cut the call.

I just nod my head and stood up and walked out to the porch after indicating, ‘I will go over there’.

I was aimlessly scrolling through my phone for two minutes before a number pops up in my phone.  I smile looking at the caller ID.  It’s Roshini my best friend.

“HELLOOOOO!”, she screech.

“Hi girl”, as usual I answer in a composed manner.

“We are meeting over next week.”, it was neither a question nor a doubtful sentence it was a declaration.

“Da, you know…”, I say but another voice cuts me off, “We know you can come!  Don’t make silly excuses.”, Jenny says.

“We are in a con.call?”, I ask surprised.

“Yeah girl, then don’t forget to come on Sunday, we chose the café which you could feel comfortable.  So no more silly excuses….. Ooo wait, I forgot you have a husband as an excuse, if you bring that up let me say he is most welcomed to join us.  Am I right Roshini?”, Jenny asks being confident that I will come.

Roshini hums in response.  I chuckle and say, “OK, you guys win.  I will come, but I don’t know if I will bring my husband.”, I say.

“Girl, we called for you on Sunday only because we thought you will bring your husband.  Who wants to see your face anyway.”, Roshini signs.

“Ouch! That hurts.”, I fake gasp.

“OK da, see you on Sunday then.  It doesn’t matter even if you didn’t bring your husband.  You are to be present on the meeting next week.”, Jenny says.

I chuckle.

“Bye!”

“Bye! Bye!”, I hung up the phone.