Chapter I - Fate Is Waiting For You

"Welcome to the Singing Stew, finest tavern in Erith!" Arlett calls from across the large rustic room, "You two look like you're fresh from an adventure. The bar's up front, but if you've got the time, I'm sure the people would love to hear your stories, and maybe even see them with a fresh splash of color." She winks and leans back, letting the various works of wild beasts and incredible sights shine in the light of the lanterns. "I'll be here if you need me!"

The tavern is busy with patrons of all shapes and sizes, just like always, and the loud murmur of the many conversations taking place can never be silenced during evenings like this one. Strong mahogany stools and tables are spread about the main floor and upstairs balcony, all lit by lanterns that have been hung from the ceiling, the walls, or just placed on the tables. The fireplace next to the bar always manages to warm the massive building, and thankfully it never seems to run out of firewood. Mugs hit the tables, kegs pour up new drinks of all sorts, coins are passed around, music is played by a duo of musicians on the small stage with tapping boots singing along, and cards are dealt to rowdy gamblers. 

Among the many lively noises of the Singing Stew, a girl behind a counter in the far corner of the room, next to the stairs, is letting her brush work away at a canvas of parchment, another story given a bit of color for the tavern's patrons to see. Shoulder length chocolate brown hair loosely hangs around her ivory skin with only one spot of paint on her cheek. A cloth is draped over her shoulder, and around her neck lies a pale deep blue bandanna with orange checkers on it. Her current commission is one of a great canyon, spoken about by a group of warriors who came in one day. They would be coming back tomorrow for their painting, so it was important to touch it up tonight so it could dry. Before she gets too far into the touch ups, mugs clunk against her counter, as the two adventures she called out to take their seats.

Arlett smiles at them and puts down her supplies, taking a seat across from the duo. Her emerald green eyes shine in contrast to her attire as she inspects the two. Only now does she get a good look at them. On the left, a human man with scruffy features, a small beard and chain-mail armor. He's carrying a heavy looking great-axe on his back, presumably his go-to weapon. To the right, a woman with short hair, save for two long braids. Her ears are pointed like an elf's, maybe half-elf's, and she's in only leather gear. Though it's out of view now, she carries a rapier by her side, and she looks like she'd be agile enough to hold her own even without her weapon. 

The man puts down his bag and takes a swig of the ale in his mug. His shoulders visibly loosen up as he chugs more, he was clearly stressed from something. Probably something that happened on whatever wild journey they were on. The woman lets out a deep breath and starts to chat. "This is a really lovely place, I've heard good things about it," she starts, looking into her topped off mug, "Are the rooms as good as I hear?" The man slams his mug down with a sigh and joins in on the talk, "Yeah, we could really use a proper bed after camping in the middle of the woods for a week." Arlett perks up at hearing how long they were out. "A week? What were you out looking for for so long?" She's trying to get them to talk about their adventures, maybe she could rope them into getting an art commission done to commemorate it. 

He takes another swig as the woman continues for him, "We heard rumors of an ancient temple somewhere out there. We planned to go for a few days to try our luck at finding it, but things got..." she pauses to sip from her mug, "Messy." The man chuckles at the line, looking at the elf smugly, "You thought we found it, but it was just some weird pile of rocks next to a cliff, and you jumped in the see what 'treasure' was inside, but noooo it wasn't actually the great lost temple, it was a bunch of rocks which some big spiders made a home in!" He laughs and stands up to go get a refill of ale. The woman is seemingly trying to ignore him, closing her eyes with furrowed brows and sipping at the mug. Arlett was caught on the big spiders, she never drew any arachnids aside from the common small house spiders. "Hey, what happened after the spiders noticed you?" Arlett asks with a spark of curiosity. "Take a guess." The woman responds, displeased at remembering it.