Chapter III - The Life of a Warlock

-Arlett-

"I'm a what?" Arlett questions as she takes a seat on the bed. Miki is floating around in front of her, slowly spinning around in the air. She answers proudly and quietly, "You're a Warlock! Now that you're borrowing my magic, you're a spellcaster, and we need to see what you're capable of." A question comes to mind for Arlett at this, 'How will we figure that out?' As if hearing her thoughts, Miki answers, "We'll test out how you act in a situation where you need magic, so don't be so worried, alright darling?" Arlett's face must be priceless, as Miki's barely able to hold back a laugh. She spins in the air to the point where she's upside down and facing her servant, adding "Yeah, I can read your mind now, so don't worry about needing me and not being able to reach me."

Arlett's in a bit of a panic now, realizing there were some strings attached after all. "Read my... Mind?" Miki flips herself upright, "Well, not really. We have a link now, so we can communicate through telepathy!" She smirks to herself for a moment, "All thanks to the little mark I gave you." Arlett's eyes widen, unknowing of any mark on her body. Miki hears her thoughts again, "The little bite I gave you, Ari. I marked you." A wave of her hand, and Miki creates a floating image in front of them. A symbol of sorts, one of a crescent moon with a demon's skeleton peering out from behind. The demon has wings, no jaw, and there are many sharp marks pointed in the direction of the skeleton. Faintly, Arlett repeats to herself, "You bit me?..."

Miki floats up to her face, inches away like before, a certain firmness to her voice, "Do you have a problem with that?" Arlett jumps a bit, startled, "No! ...no, just-" She stops herself. To her, it stung but it wasn't bad, it felt like a rush of energy, presumably the new magic she's apparently been given. It's just a weird place to bite, that's all. And biting at all is a bit more intimate than she expected. Just as she thinks this, Miki loses the firm expression and returns to her usual self, "Aww, you liked it!" "No!!" Arlett hastily denies, "And stop reading my mind!"

Amused, Miki tries to explain, "Look, you're new to the whole telepathy thing, so it'll take some time to get used to. You can think of it like thinking in layers." Arlett looks interested, so Miki continues, "The things your senses take in start in a big middle layer, where your body discerns what it was. As you register what you take in, whether your imagination or otherwise, the third layer on either side from that big middle is where our telepathy can read. It's between conscience and unconscious thought, so it'll take practice to get what you want to say to appear there." Whether by reading her mind or expression, Miki continues as if her audience asked a question, "That's right, I said our telepathy. You can do it too, but I've gotten really good at thinking in layers, so you won't catch my imagination running like I caught yours." Miki smirks, Arlett gets flustered yet again.

---Dear Reader, to clarify, when using telepathy a character's words will have single quotation marks as opposed to double. ---

---"This is said with the voice." 'This is said with the mind.' ---

"So," Arlett begins, "What about other magic?" Miki holds out her hand invitingly, palm up. Arlett cautiously takes it, and is gently pulled to the window. "I saw a nice spot over that way, we can test you there," Miki announces as she points beyond the walls of the town, "But we need to do one last thing before we go!" Leaving Arlett at the window, Miki floats to the closet, opening it and seemingly searches through it. Already trying the new telepathy, Arlett asks in their head, 'What are you looking for?' Miki responds in telepathy, 'You're already getting the hang of it, darling! I'm looking for a certain item that can work as a focus. It's essential for most magic you'll be doing, and I have something in mind that might suit you, Ari.'

Arlett moves over next to Miki to watch her search among her outfits and supplies, boxes of paint and a medical kit. After a moment, Miki backs up and stares as if something is missing, remarking, "You don't have anything that would work for this, but we need to get you a focus. Something to help you conduct your magic. It can be a wand, a staff, an orb, or any object of significance if it's turned into a focus by a powerful source." Arlett perks up at the last part, turning to her desk. Picking up a clean brush with an angled tip, she holds it to her new patron, wondering 'Would this do?'