Chapter II - Turn Around

-Arlett-

Bursting through the door, Arlett rushes back to her stand in the main room. Her bandanna's a mess, the basket was flailing as she ran. It seems she made it just in time. Probably. Mr. Malrokav greets her a few minutes later, welcoming her back in. The late night rush was about to begin, and as such she needed to get ready to cater to the people whenever she wasn't taking commissions. Cleaning her face of any paint Faythra was too nice to bring up, Arlett got as prepared as she could before the already crowded tavern was packed to the brim. The night went as it always did during these hours, plenty of drinks going out, card games getting more exciting as bets raise, livelier music to accompany the new energy of the Singing Stew.

Even with the energy brimming and the tables packed, one thought couldn't escape her head. Who or what will that second ally be? The Devil was such a mysterious card compared to the others. Arlett had a bunch of guesses for what The Magician could be referring to. But what ally could come out of a card about desires? Her mind was bouncing around with this thought, so much so that she completely zoned out between tasks. She wasn't even trying to get people interested in commissions, her mind was somewhere else.

She heads back into the kitchen to grab an order, but is snapped out of her daydreams when she hears her name. "Ari, what's going on tonight? You seem really out of it." A well dressed young boy with curly dyed red hair, pale white skin, and pointy ears is washing dishes, looking up to Arlett with concern. "Usually you're out there and talking up a storm, what's troubling you?" She smiles with appreciation, "Lailo, what kinds of things do the people say about me?" Lailo raises an eyebrow at the question, but thinks for a moment. "People seem to like your company, except for the few who wouldn't like anyone if their life depended on it. As for your arts, as subjective as it is, they all seem either impressed or at least interested." They put down the mug they were cleaning, " Why do you ask?"

Arlett doesn't really have a response ready, but knows she can ramble a bit with Lailo, they'll understand. "I had my fortune told during my break, and one of the things that came up was that I'd face a challenge with an ally who's details only included that they would be involved in my desires or darker self, so I've been trying to figure out who that might be, and I just..." She pauses to let out a sigh, "Yeah, so that's what's up." Lailo starts plating a meaty dish, and giggles a bit as they do. "Maybe the new ally is just a side of you that you don't know is there? It's just a wild guess, but I'm as confused as you." They hand Arlett the dish, smiling reassuringly. "Try not to drive yourself crazy, Ari. This is for table four."

The night goes on to be fairly uneventful. Patrons start to head to their rooms, some leave to head home, but the noise is finally calming down. Mr. Malrokav sets up a chair for the night shift, sending Lailo and Arlett to their rooms to rest up for tomorrow. Arlett takes up an easel and a few canvases with paintings that need touching up, and wishes both of her co-workers the best. The room locks with a clink, as the metal slide shifts into position. Arlett turns to take in her room like she does every night; the soft bed, a desk near the foot of it, and a closet for all sorts of clothes or other odds and ends, and the window with a great view of the front street. Her bag leans against the desk, and last night's painting supplies are still there, ready for tonight's work.

She sets up her easel, undoes her hair, and puts up the painting of the canyon from earlier. It's really coming together, all it needs is some details with the lighting, and maybe a bit of work on the silhouettes of the adventurers who came across it. They should be happy with this, hopefully they want to take it home, then Arlett would have a bit of extra spending money. It's lovely getting by on art and a few hours of catering, but the pay is just good enough to make it work. Life is pretty... okay. Arlett starts painting, and time escapes her. An hour passes, and the painting is complete. Beautiful colors of a mid-evening sky, the landscape of a forest in the distance surrounding a mountain base, and the focal point of a massive canyon, with cave entrances all over, no doubt holding some ravenous beasts. It's a wonderful depiction, likely one of her better works, but there was definitely still a longing to see it for herself.