Chapter VI - Deals, Dreams, and Warmth

-Arlett-

"Why don't you head to sleep, Ari?" Miki starts, calming down from her tense mood, "It's past midnight, you were out cold for a while." Arlett looks back to her with concern, gently asking, "Are you sure? I can keep going for a bit if you would like." Shaking her head, Miki stands up from the bed, and sighs, "Didn't I just tell you? You need to rest, I can't heal you with magic." Arlett nods in understanding, pulling the blankets up to her stomach. "Don't think our night's done though, I have a surprise for you." Miki continues as she begins moving red magic around herself, "I'll show you when you head to sleep, okay?"

Arlett wants to ask what she means, but before she opens her mouth to speak, a flash of scarlet envelops her master, who vanishes. 'A surprise for when I'm asleep?' Arlett thinks to herself as she lays back to contemplate. Snuffing the lantern, the room goes dark. The faintest amount of moonlight illuminates the room in a barely visible grey light. As the blankets meet Arlett's neck, she starts to think of the surprises Miki could have planned for her while she's asleep. 'What could she want to do with me while I'm slee...' The idea trails off as she quickly stems the train of thought with a blush. 'No not that definitely not that, stupid head...' Arlett closes her eyes, now trying to do anything but think about it. Miki could still read her mind, after all.

The world around her vanishes, shifting and molding around her subconscious. Arlett finds herself in a field of shin-high grass. Her eyes jump open, faced with a greyish-blue sky, without a sun or moon to speak of. No clouds or stars or gradients, just a flat faint blue. In one direction, a forest of pine. In every other direction, the meadow continues to the horizon. Arlett looks to herself, to see that she's wearing a dress. It looks similar to the one Miki wears when she visits. the main difference is that the straps that hold the dress up are replaced by fabric that wraps over her shoulders similarly to a sleeveless top, connecting in the back. Only one of her arms has a glove, and the dress cuts off around her knees, instead of like Miki's where it cuts at her ankles.

The dress is comfy, and fits her well. A breeze dances across the meadow in a wave, as a voice comes from behind Arlett, "You should wear dresses more often, darling." Pivoting around, the dreaming girl sees a perfect image of her master, approaching her in a calm and steady walk. Her tail is swaying behind her, as her dress and hair joins the wind in it's dance of flowing waves. Miki stops just a few feet before her servant, looking directly across to her. Smiles exchange, as Arlett realizes what her master had planned for her. "Is this actually you, Miki?".

The demon smirked, raising an open hand, palm down. A gust of wind starts to surround Arlett, blowing her dress around. The warlock drops to her knees, trying to keep her dress down as she calls again, "Miki, ple-" The wind picks up, as the smirk on the demon's face widens just a bit. Arlett tries calling out again, "Master?" Without stopping her spell, Miki replies teasingly, "You know, I noticed you avoid one of the names I let you call me. Why's that?" Arlett can't catch her breath in the updraft, she can't even stand up. Miki makes a fist of her previously open hand , as the wind seems to vanish. Arlett's dress floats back down as she fixes her breathing.

Opening her eyes for the first time since the storm, the warlock is face to face with her master, inches apart again. Startled, Arlett stumbles and blurts out in a flustered and staggering tone, "M-Miki! Is this the surprise you had for me?" A clawed hand extends, and the dreaming girl takes it, regaining her composure as she fixes her hair and dress. Miki smirks in amusement, watching her servant try to clean herself off without looking too embarrassed. Clearly enjoying herself, Miki continues in her teasing tone, "This? This is just a little spell, nothing too impressive. You'll be able to do this someday, I'm sure." she starts, "But what's important right now is what I have planned for you, darling. I have a lot to tell you. About the powers you'll gain throughout our deal, and about the reason I came to find you."