Chapter One | A Party

Josephine

When Mia and I get to her friend's apartment, the music can be heard from the stairwell

When Mia and I get to her friend's apartment, the music can be heard from the stairwell. When we go inside, it's full of people dancing and drinking, and in the air, you can see a grey cloud of cigarette smoke -I hope- I've never been to a party like this before. Honestly, if you looked at the scene in front of me, you would say it is more of a fraternity party than a birthday party.

Mia sneaks through the crowd and runs to a blond boy with green eyes hugging him, shouting over the music a "Happy birthday, babe!" he hugs her again, and they both laugh. She motions for me to come, and I walk slowly toward them. I don't know why I agreed to go to this party. I don't know anyone here other than Mia.

"Felix, I'd like to introduce you to Josephine. She's my co-worker, and she just came from America." Mia looks at me, and Felix smiles, nodding and saying a simple 'Hello'.

"Hello, happy birthday." I smile at him and extend my hand.

He takes my hand, shakes it, and looks confused at me

He takes my hand, shakes it, and looks confused at me. "Is that an accent? Where are you from?" He looks at Mia, and she starts laughing.

"I'm Australian but moved with my family to America when I was very young." I laugh and look around, trying to avoid their gaze. It's so weird. I think every introvert would understand how I feel now. I wouldn't say I like meeting new people, especially having a conversation without being awkward. That makes me very anxious.

"Ah, an Australian. I haven't had one of these in a long time." He grins, takes a sip of beer, looks at the front door, and shouts over the music. "You're finally here, you bastard!"

Mia turns her head very quickly and then rolls her eyes, but a smile appears on her face while a tall guy with brown hair and green eyes approaches us and smiles at Felix, hugging and patting him on the back.

"Sorry I was late. I had something to do after work." He grins and winks at Felix and then gives him a bottle of wine that looks expensive. "As a peace offering because I was late." He looks at Mia, and their looks change from playful to nostalgic.