Chapter Seven | A Bonfire

Hero

I park my car in front of Felix's apartment building and look at the clock

I park my car in front of Felix's apartment building and look at the clock. It's 2:05 am, and I don't feel like being here. I should be home, but the thought of her being drunk and alone at his place somehow pisses me off. I don't know why I'm still so protective of her even though we broke up four years ago. But that happens; you can't just move on from someone. I get out of the car and lock it. I take a deep breath and climb the stairs to Felix's apartment. I knock on the door, but no one answers; I try the doorknob, open the door, and walk around the empty apartment. I'm surprised the party ended so quickly, I make my way into the living room, and that's when I see her, fast asleep on the couch with the dress hanging on her hips and her bra exposed to whoever wants to look at her. Where the fuck are Destiny and Kristen? They were supposed to look after her. I bend down and move a few strands of hair out of her face. And I hear Felix coming from the kitchen, clearing his throat and looking at us.

"You were supposed to take care of her," I say without making eye contact with him. I know he wouldn't let anyone touch her. But that doesn't mean someone won't try to do it.

"I tried, but you know how she can be." He stands behind me, looking at her. And I swear to god, if he's not looking at her face, I will beat the shit out of him. "You can take her to my room. I'll take the couch. Jack is already sleeping in his room, so."

"Fine." I get up, wrap my arms around her, lift her, and walk with her towards Felix's room as he opens the door for me. I place her on the bed, and Felix bids us goodnight and closes the door. I sit on the bed, take off my shoes and socks, put them by the door, and then take my jacket off. I don't know how I am even supposed to sleep in jeans. It's already hot in this apartment. Sleeping over-dressed won't help me tonight.

"What are you doing?" I hear a whisper behind me, and I look at her.

"Getting ready for sleep. You should too." She yawns, gets up, takes off her dress, and then sits back on the bed. "What's wrong?"

"I'm hot. I can't sleep dressed." She turns her head and looks at me. "Are you going to sleep like that?"

"That's the plan," I say as I place the pillows the way I like. "I don't like the heat either."

"Then undress. It's not like we haven't been in bed with fewer clothes." She gets in bed wearing only her panties and bra and pulls the duvet over her.

"Amelia."

"Hero." She giggles. "Come on. I won't bite. I promise."

"It's the scratching I'm worried about," I say, taking off my t-shirt and jeans.

"They aren't as long as they used to be." She looks at her nails. "It's hard to type on a laptop from 9 to 5 with long nails."

"Is that so?" I get under the duvet and take a deep breath looking at the ceiling.