Chapter Two | A Night To Remember

Hero

After watching Kylie enter her house, I light a cigarette, start the engine, and drive to Felix's

After watching Kylie enter her house, I light a cigarette, start the engine, and drive to Felix's. When I'm close to Felix's apartment, I stop at a store to buy him something for his birthday. I know he'll give me shit that I'm two hours late. Not that I should explain to him why I'm late. If I could have spent more time with Kylie in that closet, I would have gladly missed his birthday. But since I haven't seen him or the boys in almost a month, it would be a dick move to miss his birthday. I walk into the store and go through the wine district, looking for the wine he likes. Eventually, I bought him a Cabernet Sauvignon 2018. This damn wine is close to £90. But once in a lifetime, your best friend turns 25. I don't even want to think about it when I turn 25. Almost everyone I know and around my age has achieved something. Meanwhile, I have done nothing besides working in a hell-on-earth corporation, breaking up with my girlfriend of three years after she decided that she wanted something new — meaning a new dick — and a cat that is like a little devil in a cat's body.

I take the bottle of wine from the shelf and go to the cash register smiling at a cashier.

"That's all?" She asks me with a smile, scanning the wine bottle.

"Yup," I answer with a grin, taking my wallet out of my back pocket.

"That's an expensive bottle of wine. Date night?" She leans over her counter, puts her chin in her palm, and looks at me, smiling.

"No, birthday. But I like how you tried to find out if I'm single or not." I smile at her and give her the money, and she presses something on the tablet, opening the cash register.

"And you still didn't answer me." She looks at me and gives me back £10.

"If there is an answer, there is no mystery, right?" I take the £10 note from her and put it in the jar that says 'Tips'. "Here. I would probably buy cigarettes with it anyway, so." I take my bottle of wine, get out of the store, and say good night when she says thank you. I get in the car and drive to Felix's. I look at my watch when I get there. It's already nine-thirty, and I don't feel like doing anything. I get out of the car and walk into the building, going upstairs to the floor where Felix and Jack live. I knock on the door and wait for someone to answer. I wonder how the neighbours haven't called the police when the music is playing loud enough in the corridor.

 I wonder how the neighbours haven't called the police when the music is playing loud enough in the corridor