Chapter 6

"Buried alive?"

Hermione could only stare at Harry in shock as they sat in a quiet area of a restaurant having lunch.

Harry nodded, his expression grim, running his hands haphazardly through his hair.

She'd just finished an emotional appointment with Astoria Greengrass around motherhood when a letter from Harry was delivered asking how she felt about what the Americans called a "working lunch".

"It seems you have more questions than answers," she said quietly, fidgeting with her napkin. "How was she discovered?"

"George and Ron found her actually," he said, quickly clarifying at her bewildered expression. "They're opening a store in Paris and while overseeing the construction, they - yeah. Bit of a shock."

"The place the killer chose is curious," Hermione commented, glancing out the window to the busy streets of London. "Is there any connection to the Weasley's or Paris? The first is usually the most significant and where they'll make more mistakes."

She could see Harry shaking his head in her peripheral.

"No but we're meeting with the family later -"

"They came early."

Both jumped as Malfoy approached; Harry went to stand but Malfoy waved a dismissive hand and joined them, sliding into the booth next to Hermione.

Part of her wanted to be childish and make him sit next to Harry, but - being a mature adult - she kept quiet. Instead, she shifted herself closer to the window so their thighs weren't touching.

"You could have sent a patronus," said Harry, frowning.

Malfoy shrugged. "You deserve a lunch break, Potter."

Harry gave an appreciative smile. "Thanks, Malfoy."

Hermione could only stare between them, baffled.

Merlin, were they mates outside of work too?

They simultaneously turned to stare at her with a brow raised in question, which had her looking away and loudly choking down her tea in avoidance.

"Find out anything?" asked Harry after a few seconds of an awkward silence aside from her loud gulps.

"There was something... interesting," said Malfoy slowly, glancing at her intermittently. "Apparently ever since Stone was young, her worst fear was being buried alive; fell down a well when she was six."

Hermione chewed on her bottom lip. There were easier ways to murder, especially having magic - one Avada and it was over. Which meant, the manner they were being killed were crucial to this mystery. This was meticulously planned from beginning to end.

Malfoy suddenly nudged her shoulder with his.

"What's on your mind, Granger?"

She felt taken aback at his casualness in touching her, but filed this for later analysis.

Avoiding his piercing gaze, she looked at Harry. "Drowning is also a common fear or phobia," she said, her voice low. "He or she is using fear as their murder weapon... but, it's just a theory. I worry about the fate of the others who are missing."

"I'll ask Justin's wife and find out more," said Harry with a sigh, exiting the booth.

Malfoy made a gesture to stand when Harry clapped him on the shoulder.

"Why don't you and Hermione finish up lunch? You need a break too, Malfoy. I'll let you know when St. Mungos is done with their examination of Stone."

Malfoy narrowed his eyes at Harry but acquiesced with a slow nod.