Chapter 16

"We know who it is!"

"Who?" Hermione demanded, sitting upright in bed while on the phone with Harry.

"Mind Healer Herbet Guild."

Hermione blinked a few times, quite speechless for a few seconds. She knew he was a suspect but for it to be confirmed... "How do you know?"

"We were able to get copies of his notes," said Harry excitedly, she could hear wind in the background. "And confirmed he was seeing all the victims. We're on our way to his house right now."

Not technically guilty... yet. But a pretty damning connection, the common thread they were looking for.

"Look for any personal journals," Hermione said, getting out of bed. "I think Guild kept a personal one that he liked to write in."

"Got it. I'll call you when we bring him in for questioning."

"Be safe."

"Always."

Hermione chewed her bottom lip nervously. She knew Guild. Not on a personal level but they'd consulted on a few cases together. He was straightforward and analytical.

Scariest of all, he was intelligent. Guild had to known they'd find him eventually and would have created some type of contingency plan. Intelligence didn't necessarily mean rationality but he should have known the Aurors would find the connection eventually.

There had to be an end game... but whatever happens now was up to the Aurors. Her job would be for conviction and building a case. Perhaps assisting with a psych evaluation at the most.

Once they brought him in, they'd know more.

She finished getting ready for the day and went through her morning routine.

Morning coffee.

Feeding Crookshanks.

Ten minutes of meditation.

Scrolling through e-mails on her phone while also skimming the Daily Prophet.

She was surprised her and Malfoy didn't make the front page this week from their date on Sunday.

In addition, Malfoy seemed distant.

Partially because George gave her a flower through Scorpius which had been Malfoy's plan with the flower he made at the restaurant. He was mending his ego these past few days.

But mostly his distance was due to her lack of an answer to their relationship.

This wasn't as simple as agreeing to casually date. Or be boyfriend and girlfriend.

This was courting. There were expectations attached to discovering their compatability. Expectations of being the next Mrs. Malfoy and a mother figure to Scorpius.

Perhaps she was scared because of how much she didn't want to think this through. She wanted to say yes. But they'd only known each a few months. Only been friendly for one.

Merlin.

During her usual route to work, she felt her phone vibrating. She wasn't expecting a call for another few hours.

Curiously, it was Malfoy calling. He'd never called before.

"Hello?"

"Where are you?"

His tone was urgent and low.

"Walking to work, why?"

"Go home."

Hermione scowled. "Why would -"

"There's an entire wall with pictures of you, Hermione," he said, his voice hard. "Guild isn't here. Go. Home. Stay on the phone with me."