One - A Very Normal Day

A/N: Hey guys. I started writing this at 1AM on a Tuesday, so I think that should give you a pretty good idea of what it will be like. Also, if you aren't from / have never been to the states, you might not get a couple of references. Nonetheless,

Enjoy :)

"Welcome to the Sagedrop Cafe, what can I get for you today?"

Those were the same words that always started your day. You noted that, on this particular day, it was a rather depressing start. Something about the weather outside felt gloomy. Your hair was already beat up from the winds that had whipped at you all the way to work, and that didn't even begin to describe the damage the rain had done to your clothes. Starting your day sopping wet wasn't exactly ideal for you.

Still, you supposed, it could be worse. It was a warm spring day, so, at least you weren't freezing. That was the bare minimum for most people, but an incredible relief for you. You hated the cold. You avoided shivering situations every chance you got - which, sadly, wasn't very often, because you lived in upstate New York and Mother Nature had some sort of grudge against the whole area.

You straightened the back of your sage-green apron, trying to get your mind off the weather and onto your customer. The girl you were serving bit her lip.

"Yeah. Can I get uhhh...." Two seconds in and you already knew the sentence was going to last forever. You resisted the urge to groan, but you couldn't stop your eyebrows from rising judgmentally. That was another way you always started your day; running on low patience with customers who took an hour to order one drink. As you sat there, waiting on her request, a thought popped up in the back of your mind:

Is this really how my life is going? Which led to the thought, how is this ever going to change?

Will it ever change?

You tried not to ponder it for too long and zipped lighting-fast to your work as soon as she settled on a coffee. In fact, you were just in the middle of stirring in the milk when chaos erupted. You weren't expecting your questions to be answered so quickly.

Up until then, you had led a pretty normal life. Your family was not the richest, but, you were okay with that. Until you turned 18 and became a broke college student - which had landed you at the cafe, working as a barista, a job that payed too little. But you were stuck there, and you knew how lucky you were that they would even take you in. Which is probably why you thought things would never change.

And then suddenly, he was there.

A familiar face that left a pit in your stomach. Standing in the doorway of the cafe you were so unfortunately an employee of.

"Alright," Chimed the soft, alluring voice you had grown to fear, "kneel."