Nine - Take Your God To Work Day

When you finally opened your eyes the next morning, you were surprised to find Loki was still there. Now, however, he was curled up in your blanket, having snatched it from your bed while you were asleep and dragged it down to where he was lying on the floor.

You groaned, rolling over to check your clock. 8:15 AM. Roxy had (hopefully) left for work already. It hit you with unpleasant force that today, you also had to return to your work at the cafe.

It wasn't that you didn't like your job. You were fairly good at it, and you had always wanted to work in a cafe. But you had dealt with too many obnoxious customers and workplace accidents (if that was what you could call the attack) to appreciate going to work anymore. The situation you were in with Loki wasn't exactly helping either.

You sat up, stretching before leaning over to the side Loki was on. He looked so peaceful that you almost felt bad about waking him up. Upon remembering that he had stolen your blanket, though, the guilt was pretty much wiped away. You reached over the edge of the bed, relentlessly snacking him on the shoulder. "Ey. Loki. Wakey wakey, sleepyhead."

"Five more minutes." He grumbled, slapping your leg away as though he was trying to silence an alarm clock.

You knew he wasn't going to budge. After a second of brainstorming, you decided on a solution. "Alright. Whatever you say." You allured, sliding out of bed and heading to the kitchen. On the way, you picked up your phone, stealthily setting a five minute timer.

You made good time in pouring and eating your cereal, leaving you with about a minute and a half left on the timer. Perfect, you thought, a mischievous smile coming across your face. He might have been the trickster god, but two could play at that game.

When you went back into your room, you held a glass of icy water in one hand and your phone in the other, right as your timer was due to go off. "Time's up, pretty boy." Before he had time to stop you, you threw out your hand, immediately dousing him with the icy water.

It took a few seconds for him to process what had just happened, but as soon as he did, his dripping-wet face contorted into rage. You knew you were done for, but it was all worth it just for that look. "Oh sh-" was all you managed to splutter out before being sent into a full-on chase.

Your apartment was relatively small, and for once, you were grateful for that, because it meant Loki was crashing up against every wall trying to get back at you. Despite your best morals, you couldn't stop yourself from laughing uncontrollably. If you were being held hostage by the god of mischief, you might as well have some fun, maybe give him a taste of his own medicine. At least, that was your justification.

Sadly, that wasn't good enough for Loki. When he finally managed to catch up to you, he slammed you against the wall near the front door, your head miraculously cushioned by your coat. You nearly doubled over laughing. Loki appeared to be shaking himself dry until you realized he was using magic again. "You- you-" at that point, you were hysterical, barely managing to stutter out more than a word between laughs. "Ohmygodyourreactionwastotallypriceless!" Was all you managed to say.

Loki seemed less entertained. Without hesitation, he rolled his sleeve back, wrapping his hand around the back of your neck. To your absolute shock, it was colder than the ice that filled the water you had splashed him with. You let out a gasp, and you assumed that your face must have looked terrible, because the trickster nearly lost his mind laughing.

You smacked his hand away, rubbing the back of your neck after he recoiled. "Now I see why you needed the blanket, Elsa."

"Yes, but, now we're even." Loki finally calmed himself down.

"Yeah, sure," you rolled your eyes, "and now, i'm going to get dressed."

Loki tilted his head to the side. "For what."

"Don't you know?" You called, going for your bedroom. "It's take your god to work day."
-

Loki had put up his disguise again, and you had seated him in the furthest corner of the coffee shop, close enough for you to keep an eye on him but too far away for people to recognize him from. You unhooked your apron as usual, all the while watching him from the corner of your eye.

"Well, well, well," a familiar voice caught your attention, "Nice to see our savior is here."

You spun around, putting on a smile. "Hey, Veronica. Nice to see you're ok after the whole... situation."

Veronica sighed. "I guess. I've got a terrible headache, though. Did you hear he got out again? Loki?"

You nodded your head over-casually. "I think I heard something about it."

Veronica shot you a strange look. "What did you do with your day off?"

Got a death threat from a god. Went to a Walmart with the guy holding me hostage. Y'know, the usual. "Not much," you shrugged. "Just sort of... chilled out."

Veronica's attention was already elsewhere. "Well, hope you have a good first day back."

You took that as a signal to get back to work. You decided it would be best to make a compromise with Loki, maybe as an extra safety measure just to ensure he didn't threaten to shoot anyone again - although you assumed there were no guarantees there.

"Can I get you a coffee, stranger?" You said, leaning over his table and raising his eyebrows.

Loki leaned back, crossing his arms over his chest and shooting you a smug look. "Large coffee. I'll try it as dark as my mind."

You straightened yourself up. "Alright then. One glass of milk for you."

Loki scoffed, letting his mouth fall open theatrically. "You don't know me at all, do you?"

"I think I'm starting to figure you out," You headed for the counter before looking back at him. "And I don't think you're really as bad as you make yourself seem, trickster."

He leaned back, nestling himself in the corner and seemingly avoiding eye contact with you. "I can name quite a few people in this very shop that might disagree with you."

You sighed, turning around again. "Well, I'm not one of them."