Six - An Unexpected Guest

You easily deciphered that, despite being the god of lies, he was telling the truth about making your life a living hell.

As if the bus ride home wasn't torture enough with him elbowing you a few times too many to be considered accidents, now you had to deal with him sulking around your apartment again. You figured it might even be worse now that he had done a good job of draining the little energy you had left.

As soon as you shut the door behind you, you slid from the wall to the floor, putting your head in your hands. "You say you're a rightful king>" you said, picking your head up just to give him a dirty look, "does a good king really go around treating people like this?"

"After spending weeks in solitary confinement, he just might." Loki snarled, staring blankly out a window. "Besides, the king of Asgard has done much worse."

"The king of Asgard? Like, Odin?" You said, getting up and moving over to the couch. "Isn't that you and Thor's dad?"

Loki whipped around to face you, before stomping over to where you sat on the couch. "That man," he snapped, leaning within an inch of your face for what you assumed was dramatic effect, "is not. My. Father."

Although you hated to admit it, you were shaking. Being that Loki could easily keep up with his threats at any moment, you knew it was a considerably bad idea to push his buttons. "Right... right..." you spluttered, "you- you're adopted. Sorry." God, you thought, this would be so much easier if our noses weren't practically touching.

After a few painful seconds, he backed away, sitting next to you (although making an obvious effort to stay as far away from you as possible). You took a deep breath, not believing what you were about to say. "Um... sorry. About the dad thing. I didn't mean to make you so upset."

Loki looked over, scanning your face curiously before looking forward again and nodding in dismissal. He could have at least given a thank you. Actually, never mind. It doesn't seem like that's in his nature.

You propped your elbow up on arm of the couch, resting your head on your hand. Big mistake; the realization that you hadn't slept in at least a day was the last thing to sink in as you unwillingly gave into sleep.

-

"Hey. Y/N. Hey." You woke up what you assumed to be a few hours later to someone lightly poking your shoulder. Your stomach dropped when you realized it definitely wasn't Loki.

"Roxy?" You asked, your voice raspy from lack of use. Your roommate, Roxanne, stood just feet from you. Your heartbeat sped up as you woke up more. "What happened to being out for the week?"

She shrugged. "My brother had an emergency, and I had nowhere else to go, so I thought I'd just come home."

You straightened yourself out, looking at the analog clock resting on your kitchen counter. 1:08. You really had been out for hours. So where the hell is Loki? He wouldn't have just walked out. People in hiding don't do that.

"Hey, is there something wrong?" Roxy accused, furrowing her eyebrows in suspicion.

You shook your head, jumping to seem as inconspicuous as you could. "No! No, I'm just tired. I think I'll take a nap."

Roxy nodded slowly. "Well, ok then. If you say so." She turned to the kitchen. "I'm gonna make some lunch." You stood up and made your way to your room, happy for the diversion. Just as you opened your door, Roxy called out to you again. "Hey, Y/N! Thanks for getting the groceries, I saw them in the fridge earlier."

You nodded, before stepping into your room and locking the door behind you. Wait a damn minute, you realized, I never put the groceries away. Did... Loki do that? That was surprisingly nice of him. Or, maybe he was just doing it so he could feed himself later. Sadly, that seemed like the more likely option.

Right?

"Whatever happened to keeping me in your sight?" Loki made you jump as he appeared from one corner of your room.

"Shh!" You hissed. "Will you keep it down? My roommate is back, if you haven't noticed."

Loki rolled his eyes. "Don't worry, she didn't see me. And I doubt she'll hear me, I've noise proofed myself."

You tilted your head to the side. "You can do that? How magical are you?"

He grinned mischievously. "More than you could imagine, midgardian. More than you could imagine."

You sighed, throwing yourself back onto your bed. "Well, for once, I'm grateful."