Sixteen - Crashing Down

"What the hell is happening?" Roxy squeaked as the light disappeared.

"Y/N, please, get back." Loki's voice was half demanding, half begging.

"No!" You persisted. "Roxy, let him go."

She wasn't listening. Instead, she peered out the window of your apartment, face falling into shock. "Oh my god."

Loki ran his fingers through his hair, letting out a sharp breath. "This cannot be happening."

"What can't be happening?" Your eyes flickered from him to Roxy. "What's going on?"

A banging at the door answered your question. Before you could even process, Loki had shifted protectively in front of you. "Get. Back."

Now you were convinced, and you backed to the corner near your bedroom door. "Loki?"

The banging kept up, this time accompanied by a voice. "Open the door!" Called out a rough voice that sounded significantly pissed off.

"Who is that?" You insisted. "Who is that?!"

"Do you remember what I said about that dream last night?" Loki whispered. "I think I might be a psychic."

Unable to process, you just shook your head. "You're right. There is no way this is happening."

The banging on the door was relentless. At least, that's what you thought, until it suddenly silenced. That was somehow more terrifying. You pressed yourself further into the corner, while Loki stood his ground and Roxy backed away. With one final crash, in an instant, Loki was pressed up to the wall next to you, held in place by a radiant silver hammer.

Standing between the splinters of what used to be your door was the God of Thunder himself.

You'd always thought that it would be cool to meet one of the Avengers. Needless to say, this was not how you pictured it happening. He looked just like he did on the posters - shimmering dirty blonde hair, a perfectly sculpted face, and luminous blue eyes - if not a million times more intimidating than that.

Loki took in a sharp breath, tensing up under the weight of... myem-myem? Not a single person you knew could remember the name of that thing, especially not you.

"Do you have to be like this every time we meet?" Somehow, even while being crushed under a magical hammer, Loki kept up the sarcasm.

"I do if we have to keep meeting like this." Thor grumbled, marching through the doorway. He passed you like you weren't even there, commanding the tool back to his hand and letting Loki slide to the ground. It wasn't until you rushed over to the god of mischief that he seemed to even notice you were there.

Thor gave a quick bow of the head. "I'm sorry for the damage," he said, "But I had to retrieve my brother before anyone else did. You're Y/N L/N, correct?"

After a moment of frantically scanning his face, you nodded. "Do any of the others know about this?"

"The others, as in my colleagues?" The god of thunder replied casually. "Of course they do."

He says that like it's a good thing.

"That's exactly why I needed to get Loki," Thor explained, "if any of them get their hands on him first, I'm sure they'll be much less... forgiving." He shot the trickster a death glare.

"So what will you do when you're finished with me?" Loki muttered. "Bring me back to Asgard? Surrender me to the hands of your father?"

"Don't act like I've never shown you kindness," Thor barked. "I've tried again and again, but New York has damn near killed my hope for you."

"Wait!" You cut through the conversation, causing both the Asgardian brothers to look at you. "Loki, please, you have to tell him!"

"Tell me what?" Thor demanded, turning back to Loki, holding the hammer threateningly closer.

Loki kept his gaze on you. He furrowed his eyebrows, partially shadowing his piercing green eyes. His lips moved to form words without making any noise; i'm sorry.

What? You mouthed in response.

For everything I ever threatened you with. You were becoming an excellent lip reader, and regretting it, all in the same moment. You shook your head, but Loki had already turned away.

"Do you want my confession?" He leaned in, eyes beating against his brother's. "Fine."

Thor nodded, and Loki continued. "I threatened to kill y/n. I made them keep me here. I attacked a coffee shop, so lock me up. I don't care anymore. I know I had it coming, so you might as well get it over with."

"He's been in our house this whole time?" Roxy chimed in from the opposite corner. "Is that true? That he threatened to kill you?"

"I mean, yeah," you confessed, "But I never... I didn't..." no matter how hard you tried, the words refused to come together.

"Right. There's your evidence, brother." Loki's face was stone cold.

"Loki!" You knew you sounded desperate. You didn't care. You had pieced it all together, and it had hit you harder than the hammer.

Loki was turning himself in for you. You had no idea why, but thinking back to your conversation just minutes before, you had clues. "I pose no more threat," he had said. So, was he just... keeping you out of danger?

Did he suddenly care that much? What had turned him so soft for you, other than just basic acts of kindness? He was sacrificing himself to keep you out of trouble. He was sacrificing himself for you.

"Loki, what is this mockery?" Thor was just as suspicious as he should have been. "I know you better than this. What tricks are you playing?"

"Everything I said was true." Loki insisted. "I surrender. I have nothing left to keep me from doing so."

"And we appreciate it, rock of ages." You recognized the new voice coming from your apartment door, but couldn't place it until the moment you saw yet another avenger standing in your doorway.

"Alright, everybody out."

You couldn't really deny the orders given by Tony Stark himself.