Fourteen - The Threat Is Up

Although both of you were embarrassed to admit it, it was a pretty nice hug.

You let Loki rant to you again after you had calmed down, wandering around the abandoned playground until the sun began to cast golden light upon your faces. After that, he let you cautiously lead him back to the apartment.

"Hey," you piped just before entering the house, "can you invisible yourself again? Roxy is probably home."

Loki scoffed. "That ashamed of me, are you?" He scolded jokingly before disappearing in a haze of emerald. You rolled your eyes before unlocking the door.

Roxy was scrolling through her phone, waiting next to your microwave. "Hey," she said, barely looking up to greet you.

"Hey," you repeated, waiting a minute before closing the door for fear of accidentally locking the trickster out. "What are you making?"

"Microwave burritos." She vaguely replied.

"Sweet." You replied. What a stimulating conversation this is.

You threw a bagel in the toaster and waited at the counter, hovering over your phone too. Of course, as soon as you opened the phone, you were greeted by a pleasant news alert;

The fugitive god is still on the run
For any sightings, contact SHIELD officials

You groaned, shutting off the phone again and instead staring blankly at the bagel.

"Y/N?" Roxy called for your attention. "Where were you? I mean, didn't your cafe close, like, two hours ago?"

You nodded slowly, stalling while you formulated an excuse. "Yeah, I, um, went for a run. Just around town. It was pretty out."
That was a half-truth. To be fair, you had been running, just not for your own entertainment.

Roxy furrowed her eyebrows, but still nodded. "Makes sense."

"Why do you ask?" You slightly panicked. "You seem suspicious."

"I'm just worried, y'know?" She replied. "I mean, I thought you might be more concerned. You took down a criminal, and I kind of thought you might be scared about him being on the loose."

You laughed, sort of worried about it sounding forced. "Please, you think Loki would know how to find me?" You waved your hand in dismissal. "Besides, I think he has better things to do than search for me."

Roxy grinned. "Yeah, you're right. I think i'm just being paranoid."

You jumped a bit as the toaster behind you finally presented your lame excuse for a dinner.  "I'm gonna eat in my room," you excused yourself, "I'm exhausted."

Roxy nodded passively. "Night."

You repeated the phrase, and threw your bagels onto your plate before escaping to your room. As soon as you closed the door, Loki popped out of thin air.

"Do you want a bagel?" You said, holding out the plate.

"First of all, what happened to 'hello'?" He said sarcastically, "and second, what the hell is a bagel?"

You raised your eyebrows judgmentally. "Ok, remind me to never go to Asgard, because you guys are missing out on the best things in life."

Loki tilted his head back against the bedroom walls, staring up at the ceiling. You wondered if he was thinking about his homeland now that you had mentioned it. You plopped down on the edge of the bed, trying your best not to get crumbs in the sheets as you wolfed down the bagel.

After a moment, the god slid down to the floor, taking up the blanket from the nights before. You left the plate on the nightstand before swallowing your pride. For the sake of being nice. And maybe just because I want to.

"Hey, Loki?" You said, waiting for him to look up at you. "You can sleep up here tonight. I'll take the floor."

He stared blankly at you for a few seconds before blatantly stating, "No."

You raised your eyebrows again. "No, as in no I will not take the bed?"

He shook his head. "I mean no as in you're not going to sleep on the floor."

You shrugged. "It's not that big of a deal. I slept on the floor all the time at sleepovers when I was a kid. Besides, I think you should have a proper bed."

The trickster violently shook his head. "I'll just sleep on the floor again."

You matched the action. "Either you sleep on the bed and I sleep on the floor, or we both take the bed."

The bickering went on for a few minutes, before ending with Loki sleeping on the bed. And you. He agreed to sleep above the covers, while you situated yourself underneath the blankets. To finish it off, out of what you assumed to be pure pettiness, he took the blanket from the floor and used it as a barrier between the two sides of the bed.

He rested his head back on the pillow, ebony hair spilling out all around him. "By the way," you added, "If you have the audacity to snore, I will not hesitate to smack you with my pillow."

You were satisfied to find that that got a laugh out of him, and on that note, you flipped the bedroom light off, dousing the room in shadows and moonlight.

After a moment of darkened silence, Loki spoke up. "Y/N?" He muttered, slight crackles coming from the back of his voice.

"Yeah?" You acknowledged, not turning to look at him.

"The threat is up, Y/N." He said, and something told you he had been waiting to say that for a while. This time, you shuffled around to face him.

"What do you mean?" You could barely make out his features in the darkness.

He shook his head one last time. "Nothing." He assured. "Sleep tight."

You weren't buying it, but you were too tired to deal with that. "Night." You said, before your eyelids fluttered shut and sent you spiraling into sleep.

-

You didn't notice the crumpled paper note on your nightstand that Loki had been furiously scribbling at while you were in the kitchen.

Y/N,
M̶y̶ D̶e̶a̶r̶ /,
D̶a̶r̶l̶i̶n̶g̶, b̶e̶a̶u̶t̶i̶f̶u̶l̶, l̶o̶v̶e̶l̶y̶ /,

Consider this my formal apology for everything I've threatened you with. You have shown me more kindness than I ever deserved just by letting me stay with you, and so much more than that. I will never stop being grateful for that. Nonetheless, I'm finally leaving. ' s̶u̶r̶e̶ y̶o̶u̶'l̶l̶ l̶o̶v̶e̶ t̶h̶a̶t̶. Thank you again.

Your dearest nuisance,
Loki