Part 4

Wings Eclipsing Night
Part 4: Bedroom Ornaments
by KC

Disclaimer: I wish I owned Harry, Draco and all the rest; they'd do a lot more stuff than they do in the books and it'd all be rated R through X. Alas, however, I do not.
Other info: Post-HBP, dark!Harry, veela!Draco. Yes, there is sexxors in here, but not that much.
Summary: fourth chapter in my veela!Draco series as Harry comes to realize the extent of Draco's devotion and the two meet Ron.

*

Curled in a corner, Draco obeyed his master's command to stay out of the way while Harry moved shrunk-down furniture from the space below the trapdoor up into the old divination room. As he restored each piece to its proper size, the room slowly filled up and looked more like a respectable bedroom. A broad, flat desk filled a corner while a velvet-lined chair went beside it. A wide four-poster bed appeared and was pushed up against the wall before Harry threw on the canopy and arranged it. On the shelves, ornately carved candleholders, fancy inkwells and ancient instruments replaced decks of cards, crystal balls and tea leaves. As he shined a brass astrolabe, Harry smiled and looked over his shoulder at his veela.

"Found these all in the Room of Requirement," he said. "When it's the place where you hide things. You remember?"

Draco nodded quietly.

"I had a hard time choosing. There were so many things inside, I don't think anyone could ever know exactly what's there." He finished shining the piece and set it on the shelf next to decorative statue of a dragon. "A lot of it was smashed up, probably broken over time, but some of it's all right."

Draco watched him work for a few more seconds. "Why are you doing that?"

"Doing what?" Harry dusted off a wooden hourglass and turned it upside down, watching the sand spill.

"Cleaning," Draco said. "By hand. And you put the blankets and canopy on the bed by hand. You have a wand. You could just wave it on there."

Lowering his head, Harry dusted off a few more items before he answered. As the silence stretched, Draco worried that he'd upset him and looked away, curling up tighter. His wings even drew close, shaking with tiny tremors as he pulled them too tight.

"I want to," Harry said softly, not looking up. "It's weird. You'd think I wouldn't after what the Dursleys put me through, but it calms me down a little. It's familiar. Everything's changing but this...this is familiar."

With Harry's back to him, Draco couldn't tell if he was smiling or frowning, but he didn't seem angry. "Dursleys?"

"The muggles I lived with." Harry set down the brass clock in his hands and turned towards him. "I know you think I lived with muggles fawning over the Boy Who Lived, but it didn't happen that way. And I'd rather not talk about it."

Nodding and shrinking away slightly, Draco opened his mouth to apologize for asking but he hesitated too long. Heavy footsteps echoed from the hallway leading to the bedroom and Ron's voice quickly followed.

"Harry!" Ron called up from the foot of the ladder. "I got it!"

"Coming." Harry walked over to the trap door and looked down. A broad grin spread over his face. "Hey, that looks great! You really got those bars straightened out."

"My pleasure," Ron said. Draco could almost hear his smile. "Since it's for the ferret, it was a labor of pure joy."

Golden bars rounded like a dome rose up from the trap door. Draco immediately recognized it as a bird cage, and when his master restored it to its proper size, he had no doubt as to its purpose. As tall as he was with a large door, it was just the right size for a half veela with folded wings.