new captain in town

───── ⋆ ⧗ 🕸️⋆ ─────

───── ⋆ ⧗ 🕸️⋆ ─────

"Wait.. how old are you?"

"106."

She laughs and Amelia sits in the car groaning at this awkwardly weird date Mr. James Barnes appears to be having.

I spin the Nintendo switch remote around in my hand laughing as Kate screams "You're cheating! You're barely even dancing!"

Yelena laughs as she watches Kate full on perform single ladies and I just move my hand.

"What are you doing?"

"Reading your mind."

"..Please don't."

Amelia groans as the woman, who she's already ran through the system and identified as Leah Ishikawa. Age 29. Unmarried. No children. says "B-8. Sucker."

"Uhhh... hit!" They laugh and he drinks and Amelia groans "most boring date ever. So I'm basically reporting back that he was a gentleman and bought her flowers. I am wasting my time.."

"Do you have any siblings?"

"I have a sister. F-4."

"Miss. Drinkkk. Are you close with your parents?"

Bucky sighs saying "I was.. they uh passed away. Um, D-5."

"Oh, I'm sorry... Um, miss. I think it's really sweet you're spending time with Yori by the way. It's been hard for him since his son died. I think not knowing how it happened is the hardest part for him. Mm, it really messed him up."

Amelia paints her nails muttering mockingly "Trace him while I do literally anything else, Amelia.. god.. I'm such a push over."

"You know how we call a guy who's wife died a widower? Or if your parents die, you're an orphan. You know there's no word for someone whose kids die."

Amelia looks up and says "Who the hell brings that up during a date?"

"That seems like the worst thing that could ever happen. Losing a child." She continues, only making the situation worse

Bucky stares at the game. The death of his daughter already hitting him hard especially after Steve left.

Mackenzie and Natalia pleading, begging for him to show some remorse. Some humanity.

He can hear the echoing of Natalia's voice as she cried out for her daughter as he shot and killed her as she walked along the wooden bridge.

The world collapsed around him as suddenly everything in that moment made sense.

The blinking memory, the burning memory of those piercing green eyes gut him. Making him feel as if there's no greater pain then losing someone and being the cause.