Chapter 3: Concert of Death

The school concert of Teyvat Highschool was an annual event that's hosted by the band club.

This year, the band consisted of Xinyan, the drummer, Kazuha, flute, Eula, violin, and Barbara was the main singer. Sometimes, Xiao would see Yunjin visit, but she sang Chinese opera, not pop. Of course, Xiao couldn't name every single band member, but those were the people he at least tried to remember.

Apparently, Venti was invited to be a part of this year's concert, but he declined after seeing when it was scheduled.

Xiao guessed it was because he planned to...

He shook his head, he wouldn't let that happen. Not ever.

The concert was being held outside today, and everyone in the school was talking about it. Usually, Xiao didn't bother to attend it after staying for barely 10 minutes once, but just this year- he felt like staying all the way just to see Venti.

Before he knew it, the bell had rung, signalling the start of the concert. Admittedly, everyone in the class started cheering and running outside- the teachers could only sigh, they'd learned after trying to calm them down during the previous years.

You see, Barbara, a new freshman, was an upcoming idol. So like Xiao had guessed, most of the students were only there to see her sing.

Trying his best, Xiao shoved through the crowd, and through hardship he finally made it outside where the concert was set up.

He sat on a bleacher and tried to spot Venti's figure. However...

No matter where Xiao tried to look, the crowd, the seats, across the field- nowhere.

Venti was nowhere to be seen.

Just where is he?

Xiao couldn't help but worry. I mean, how could you not when someone who tried jumping off a roof goes missing? And all of a sudden?

The show started, but Venti still wasn't anywhere. Even Barbara noticed this, as Xiao overheard her feeling apologetic about the chili sauce incident, and how she thought that caused him to be late.

Eventually, Zhongli and Ei, Venti's friends, had come but still not him.

Xiao decided to not be impatient, Venti was likely just late, that's all.

5 minutes since the show started...

10 minutes later...

30 minutes...

Xiao was seriously started to worry, Venti could just change into his gym uniform- what was taking him so long?

At this point, 3 performances had already been presented, and the long awaited show of Barbara's group was starting.

Suddenly, Xiao had a thought...

No...

Venti couldn't be-

He swiftly turned around at the school building- and gazed upon the rooftop.

The wind picked up once more, making Xiao have a strange, eerie feeling rush over him.

------------------------------------

Frantically, Xiao ran up the school staircase, not pausing to take a single breath.

Luckily for him, he's considered quite agile, so despite huffing and puffing, Xiao could continue to run up.

1st floor, 2nd floor, 3rd floor, then the rooftop.

2nd floor, 3rd floor, then the rooftop.

3rd floor, then the rooftop.

He chanted to himself, he was nearly there.

...

The wind, once again, flowed through Xiao's hair, like a song it whistled its melody.

And once again, a single figure stood behind the fenced gate.

They sang a sweet but short song, although Xiao couldn't recognize it, he instantly fell in love with its tune.

Xiao nearly forgot his goal after the figure stopped humming.

Xiao reached out his hand and spoke in a quiet, but soft voice. It wasn't neither commanding nor was it aggressive.

"Venti, come back."

Once again, he turned around, his short figure latched onto the fate, and his green eyes stared inside Xiao's soul, so unnerving yet so addicting.

A Cecilia flower, one that was once on his hair, now fell off and rode the wind as it flew towards Xiao.

Once again, he was silent. Xiao was silent.

Yet this time...

The angel fell.

----------------------------------