Chapter 17: The Brute

-------------------------------------

The dread of being the centre of attention began to seep into Xiao's heart.

"You." Said the brute, "What do you think you're doing?"

"I think you should explain yourself first, brute." Xiao retaliated, not flinching under the brute's fierce gaze. The people around were whispering murmured words he couldn't make out. However, he could tell that some of them were a part of this guy's little gang.

"Tch, ignorant brat. Who do you think you're talking to?" He puffed up his chest in pride.

Xiao didn't really understand who this strange guy was, nor did he care. In fact, he was kind of weird...

Staying oblivious to Xiao's confused expression, the brute announced his name in a glamours tone.

"I!" He declared, "I am Decarabian! I seek the freedom and peace of my people! I eradicate evil and am loved by all!"

Venti mocked his ridiculous speech, "'Seek freedom and peace?' 'Eradicate evil and is loved by all?' Oh, the sweet tone of your pretty lies shock me."

"You!" Decarabian pointed aggressively at Xiao, "You, you are bewitched by this devil! Don't be fooled by him. You can still join my side of righteousness."

Xiao stepped back, still clutching onto Venti.

"I... don't understand."

Decarabian stomped his foot, angered, "This devil you desperately clutch onto is tricking you! I believe I made that clear! So, why aren't you coming over to my side?"

Xiao, maybe for the first time in years, shot a haunting death glare. One towards Decarabian.

Nothing made him more mad when someone he cares about gets ridiculed and stomped on like this. When that someone is Venti who has a perfect shot at getting into Celestia, and when that person is Venti in general, the last thing Xiao would want was him to get bullied, excluded... treated as a devil.

Decarabian stood silently, as if he wasn't aware of the strange quietness that surrounded everyone.

"Why..." Decarabian whispered to himself. He nearly shook under that glare.

This brat! I'm not scared of him. He's nothing. I'm Decarabian, the true hero of this world! I must stop that devil. But that stare of his...

He wiped away the thoughts he had. He was the saviour of all these poor souls trapped inside the same room, the same place, the same world as that devil. Yes, that is right. He's not some brute. How could he be?

Although, he didn't expect that devil to be here. With that scrawny build of his? What could he do? Anyway, it doesn't matter.

Decarabian calmed himself. Yes, yes. I'll make sure that devil and that brat don't pass. After all... this is for the sake of her, who feel victim to that devil!!

He put on a proud smirk. "Hah! No matter, foolish boy, as long as you side with that devil, know that only a world of agony will be ahead of you!"

"I don't know who you are, or what stupid fantasies you have in your mind," Xiao said, "But that doesn't matter."

"Don't you ever call him a devil. No, don't even dare to spout an insult like that again."

Decarabian awkwardly backed off but not without a scoff, then reluctantly walked away as he and his 'followers' pushed by the crowd.

"Xiao..." Venti looked almost disappointed, maybe even nauseous.

"Ah, Venti," Xiao set him down carefully. "Please, don't listen to that guy, you're no devil.

Looking unconvinced, and as the crowd dispersed, Venti sighed and put on his usual smile.

"Thanks, Xiao." He said, "But Decarabien is right."

"What nonsense is-"

Venti's eyes showed longing and sadness.

"He's my brother."

Xiao quietly gasped, "Ah..."

He shook his head.

"No- even though he's your brother, you're not a devil."

Venti weakly laughed, "Ha... we've known each other for basically our entire lives. He knows me the most and I know him better, even more than those blockheads Zhongli and Ei. Hm, but he does know a little too much, and so Decarabien blames me for every misfortune- big or small. And, well, it seems like such thoughts has driven him to this hero complex."

"There's you too, Xiao. That makes two people in the world who know me best."

"R-Really?" Xiao fought the urge to smile, "Are you sure? I mean, we've only known each other for like, um, I'm not sure, half a year?"

"Time flies by!" Venti tried to seem happier, "And yes, I'm sure."

He stood up and brushed his pants, then lent a hand out for Xiao.

"Don't you know, Xiao?"

"Know what?" Xiao grabbed on.

"You were the first person to save me!"

'That smile...'

"Who cares if we've only known each other for a short time? You're the first one to save me. The second one to save me. And also the third person to save me."

"We've arrived." The two young examiners interrupted.

"Please step inside the following room."

"Thank you for your patience."

They bowed, then opened the door.

With that, Venti pushed forward with Xiao in hand, to the light that shined at the end of the hall.

"C'mon! Let's run!"

"Okay, Venti." Xiao whispered under his breath. "I hope you can catch up."

------------------------------------