Chapter 16: The Play

This side story that plays during the beginning will be continued in another book of mine that's gonna start in a few days-weeks from now :) I have some xiaoven ideas for this story so yeah stay tuned. +not 100% yet! I might change my mind!

"Um? Big brother Morax?"

A young child like figure tugged onto an older man's cape.

He responded, "Oh? Barbatos? What is it that you need?"

"Well, I was wondering..." Barbatos hesitated before speaking, "I was wondering who 2nd brother was."

Morax sat silent, whether in shock or confusion, the young boy couldn't tell.

Finally, he said something.

"2nd brother was your predecessor," Said Morax, "He once was like you."

"Like me?"

"Yes. Like you. He once took the role of freedom and controlled the harsh wind to his command."

Barbatos pushed further, "What happened to him? Why is everyone sad when they speak about him?"

"Well... because something terrible had happened to him-"

"Because he died." Someone else's voice had called out. Someone else, who was not Morax.

A tall woman who had her long scarlet red hair tied in a high ponytail, called out in a ferocious tone. Her tanned skin highlighted the countless deep scars on her body and the bandages along with it. Any other normal child would run out screaming, with a frightened look on their face.

It was Murata. Queen Murata. Barbatos' older sister.

"There's no need to sugarcoat it." She said then looked at Barbatos harshly, her eyes showed no kindness. "2nd brother died. He died 400 years ago right before you had sprung into existence."

"Oh..." Barbatos looked downwards at his feet, he regretted asking.

Murata then turned her eyes towards Morax, "It's time to move on. Don't act like how I did."

"I just want to know more about my br-"

Before he could continue, Murata shut him up sternly.

"I'll give you a word of advice, though it may not matter since you've inherited the role of freedom of all things."

"What I have learned after 2nd brother's death, and what I have learned after these centuries of war, is that he was weak. Utterly weak. In a world where the leading rule is 'survival of the fittest'...." She paused to make sure Barbatos understood every word she muttered.

"That brother of ours was lucky enough to have made it so far."

—————————————-

Xiao followed the strange, almost robotic examiners in silence, while also making sure that Venti was right behind him.

He took this quiet chance to study his surroundings, and the other participants.

'So far, it's been nothing but depressing concrete walls and marble flooring...' Xiao noted in his head. 'Nothing unusual... and the examiners are walking at a steady pace, too.'