III. LIKE ME, LIKE YOU

═════ ◈ ═════

"HEY, BEX, YOU doing anything tonight?" asked James, as Steve scanned over the newspaper

"Actually," began Rebecca, "I was going to sit at home. But this is much better."

"Then come with," smiled James. "There," he said, hitting Steve lightly on the shoulder. "Got you a date."

Steve rolled his eyes. "Sorry about him. If you don't want to come, that's fine."

"No, I do," said Bex, laughing a little at the friends' interaction. "And I don't mind being your date."

James smirked a little. "There you go."

"I'll see you guys at the expo, then," she said with a smile, beginning to turn around to her car.

"Need someone to walk you to your car?" offered Steve.

"It's not far," she said. "Thank you, Steve."

Rebecca turned around and smiled to herself.

— ☆ —

"I don't see what the problem is," said Bucky, as they walked down some stairs at the expo.  They were surrounded by loads of people.  Fireworks went off all around them, and the train went around the globe sculpture behind.  "You're about to be the last eligible man in New York," he continued.  "Y'know, there's three and a half million women here."

"Well, I'd settle for just one."

"Good thing I took care of that," said Bucky.  He raised his hand and waved to Rebecca and another girl standing by the base of a statue in the middle of the square. 

"Bucky!" called the other girl, Connie, waving back. 

"Steve," said Rebecca, smiling.  He walked over and smiled back. 

"Hi, Rebecca," he said.  Bucky took Connie's hand and walked toward the center of the festival, where people bustled all over.  Steve and Rebecca followed.  He didn't hold her hand, but she didn't mind.  They'd only just met anyway.  "Listen, about earlier—"

"I won't tell anyone," she said.  "I've done it too."

Steve sprung a confused look.  "What?" he said, unsure what she was talking about.

"Your enlistment form?" she said.  "I've tried too.  Failed, obviously, since I'm still here.  Sent it in three different times."

"That's— really?"

"Yeah," said Bex.  "Hold on— that wasn't what you were going to say, was it?"

Steve laughed a little.  "No," he said.  "I was going to thank you, actually," he said.