IV. CHANCES

═════ ◈ ═════

"C'MON," SAID STEVE, nodding down the hall

"C'MON," SAID STEVE, nodding down the hall.  Bex followed.

"You're resilient," she said to him, as they sat and waited to be directed into an examination room. 

"Hey, so are you," he told her.  He looked down at the sheet he'd filled out with all his information.  "Where you from this time?" he asked her.

"Albany," she said, peering down at her own.  "You?"

"Trenton."

"Jersey, again?"  she laughed.

"I ran out of good cities in New York," he shrugged. 

"I haven't done this in a while," she said, looking down at the card.  She picked at the corner of the paper.

"Why?" he asked. 

"I don't know," she replied.  "I guess I just gave up on it for a little while."

"So why try again?"

"I guess you inspired me," she said, turning to him and smiling.

In that moment, both their names were called.  Their exam rooms were on opposite sides of the building.  With one last look at each other, they walked away, into the rooms.  The curtains were closed.

— ☆ —

"I can offer you a chance," said Dr. Erskine to Steve.  He opened the curtains and led Steve to the desk.  "Only a chance."

"I'll take it," replied Steve, following him.

"Good."

"But wait."

"Wait?" questioned Erskine.

"There's this girl."

Erskine looked at the ceiling for a moment.

"Ah, a girl," he said, a smile lingering on his face.

"Her name's Rebecca Cooper," Steve explained. "She's in an examination room across the hall."

"And you want me to give her a chance, too."

"She's waited. You can look, she's tried, but no one lets her in the army."

"And you empathize with this girl, Rebecca Cooper?"

"I do."

"Well, if you believe in her so blindly.." he said. He motioned for one of the soldiers at the desk to go to Rebecca's room and bring her there. "You're taking the chance?" he checked.

"Yes, sir," said Steve.

Erskine put a stamp reading 1A on Steve's card.

"Congratulations, soldier."