IX. THE STAR SPANGLED MAN WITH A PLAN

═════ ◈ ═════

WHO'S STRONG AND BRAVE, here to save the American way?

Steve marched out patriotically from the curtains with a half enthusiastic smile on his face.  Rebecca could tell he was nervous.

"Not all of us can storm a beach or drive a tank," Steve read from the papers taped to the back of his shield.  "But there's still a way all of us can fight."

Who vows to fight like a man for what's right, night and day?

"Series E defense bonds.  Each one you buy is a bullet in the barrel of your best guy's gun."

Who will campaign door-to-door for America?

Carry the flag shore to shore for America?

From Hoboken to Spokane,

The star-spangled man with a plan!

We can't ignore there's a threat and a war we must win,

"Each one you buy is a bullet in the barrel of your best guy's gun."

Who'll hang a noose on the goose stepping goons from Berlin?

Who will redeem, heed the call for America?

Who'll rise or fall, give his all for America?

Who's here to prove that we can?

The star-spangled man with a plan!

Days. Then weeks. Then they became months. Three months of show, after show, after rehearsal, after show. Steve began to memorize the lines. He didn't need them plastered to the back of his shield anymore. The song would get stuck in Rebecca's head. She didn't need to run over the verses every night. There was money, and there was something to contribute. It helped the war, right? They were helping the U.S. win. They were selling bonds. "Each one you buy is a bullet in the barrel of your best guy's gun." Steve's words repeated in her head.

It wasn't what she had imagined. But it was something, right?

Maybe.

Rebecca and the other girls looked ahead with salutes and shining smiles on their bajillionth show of the tour as Steve spoke the words he'd spoke so many times before.

"We all know this is about trying to win the war," he said.  An actor playing Hitler tip toed behind the line of girls. "We can't do that without bullets and bandages, tanks and tents. That's where you come in. Every bond you buy will help protect someone you love."

Children in the audience began yelling and pointing at "Hitler" as Steve continued his speech.

"Keep our boys armed and ready, and the Germans will think twice about trying to get the drop on us."