XXIV. BLUE BURNS

═════ ◈ ═════

THE DOOR TO the cockpit wasn't far from where they had been

THE DOOR TO the cockpit wasn't far from where they had been.  After a couple of short, empty hallways, they finally reached the door that was labeled in German, and they knew that this was it.  This was where their quest ended— the only thing they didn't know was how.

"Rebecca, you can't come in with me," Steve said in a hushed tone, turning and blocking the door just as Rebecca began to reach for her pistol.

She put it back in her holster.  "What? Why?"

"It's just him now," Steve began, taking one of her hands into his. "But that doesn't make the situation any easier.  He's too strong and manipulative, and has weapons that we don't even know how to work."

"I've come this far, I don't understand why I can't go!  I can be an advantage.  I can hide so he thinks it's just you, and then—"

"Rebecca, if something happened to you, I would blame it on myself."

"But if something happened to you, I would blame it on myself, Steve."

"See, there's a catch to that," he said, holding up a finger. "Since I'm the one who told you not to come in, it would be my fault."

"Steve..."

"Please, Bex.  For me," he begged.

Rebecca sighed, then put her arms around him.  "I love you, okay?"

Steve stroked her hair. "I love you too."  He kissed the top of her head just like he had before then they slowly came apart. 

"Go get him, Captain," she said. Steve saluted her.  Once Rebecca took a couple steps to the side out of the doorway's line of sight, Steve slowly opened the metal door.  Once he had slipped inside, he closed it behind himself.

It was quiet for a couple seconds longer— then Rebecca heard a loud bang then a clang of metal, which she assumed was a shot from Red Skull that bounced off Steve's shield. There were voices then, muffled behind the metal of the door, then more banging.  There were muffled grunts and the bangs continued as well, whether it was the sound of something clashing against Steve's shield or one of the two men in the room being banged up against something. 

She wanted to go in there so bad, just to try and help him.  But she didn't, because she had faith that Steve could do this on his own. 

After another, louder bang than some of the others, Bex felt the ship tip, and she began sliding to the side of the plane.  Someone must have hit against the controls on the bridge during the fight, because the Valkyrie was now flying almost completely sideways— and diving downward, fast. The clangs continued, and that meant the fight did, too.  After a couple moments, the aircraft began to tilt itself back into a normal position, and Bex slid back to her place just beside the door. 

There were more shots fired from a loud pistol— one of Red Skull's— and more muffled yells.  Then another clang, and a loud grunt— then a bang louder than all the others— something was broke, and someone had broken it by smashing straight into it.  There was a vibrating whir, and something that sounded like a small explosion.

That was enough for Rebecca to stand up and barge in the door— then stopping in her tracks as she saw what was there in front of her. A dusty cloud of colors hovered over the room, and a bright blue light came from a cube in Red Skull's hand. He seemed to look up at it in both fear and awe. The ceiling looked like something you'd see in one of those alien invasion movies, like the trail from a spaceship. Blue bursts flashed everywhere, like lightning that had just a little too much to drink. Suddenly, the blue cube in the Red Skull's hand began to burn like fire— he began to shout as the beam of bright light coming from it slowly overtook him. Bex and Steve covered their eyes, for it was too bright to look at anymore, and soon the only thing they sensed was Red Skull's shouts, which began to fade away as the vibrating became greater. The ground shook under Bex's feet, and she stumbled over Steve, who caught her just in time. There was a large pulse, and the light immediately faded— and the Red Skull was gone.

They saw the blue cube he had been holding drop to the floor. Rebecca scurried over and watched as it burnt through the metal floor of the Valkyrie and all its subsequent layers, falling into the ocean. She didn't dare touch it. But it was long gone now, surely in the depths of the Atlantic. And so, it was not a problem.

They had bigger problems on their hands, anyway.

a.n. guys.... its almost over.....

im gonna publish two today because this one is a short one. get ready for twenty five omg

i love you!!! thank you for coming this far

don't forget to vote!

molly