XIII. FIGHT FIRE WITH FIRE

═════ ◈ ═════

STEVE GLANCED BESIDE HIM, an alert look on his face

STEVE GLANCED BESIDE HIM, an alert look on his face.  Gunshots were fired in the distance, and alarms were still going off.  Steve looked away from the side just as Bex caught a glimpse of what he had been looking at— a map of Europe with five or six large black marks on it shaped like little buildings.  A map of Hydra facilities. 

"Come on," said Steve again.  Bucky put his arm around his shoulder and Rebecca jogged forward, taking Bucky's other arm and putting it around her.  Bucky could barely stand, and he was limping.  Rebecca didn't want to know what horrible things Hydra had done to him.  She didn't think she was going to find out, anyway. 

She and Steve had to lean over slightly to support him.  She didn't look back as they walked out of the room with the scientific instruments. 

"What happened to you?" said Bucky, looking slightly up as Steve.

"I joined the Army."

They walked down another, smaller hall.  It wasn't as dark as the others, since the windows allowed in more light.  The hall was lined with boxes and crates and still there was metal piping over the ceiling and the wall.  As they walked in the minimal light, Bucky began taking more rhythmic steps and standing up straighter.  Steve and Rebecca loosened their grip.  She heard a muffled explosion come from outside. 

"Did it hurt?" asked Bucky.  Steve and Bex now began to let him go, and he walked on his own, still leaning over.

"A little," answered Steve.

Bucky took a couple larger steps to catch up with them.  "Is it permanent?" he continued.

"So far."

Suddenly, the ground began shaking.  Loud explosions came from close by— inside the walls they were in.  Steve, Bucky, and Rebecca jogged faster down the hall and went towards the stairs. Rebecca might have tripped if it wasn't for Steve's steady hand holding hers. They arrived at one of the metal balconies overlooking the factory gone to chaos. Large scale explosion after explosion happened on the floor, blowing Hydra's creations to pieces and obstructing their way back through. They ducked backward as another one occurred, close to where they stood. Bex could feel the warmth from their fire.

The three of them turned back the other way and went up another set of stairs to a higher balcony which had a bridge that led across the room over the explosions. They turned a corner toward the bridge as they heard a loud, booming voice call a name.

"Captain America!" he said, in a heavy German accent. Rebecca recognized his face from pictures. He was Johann Schmidt, founder and leader of Hydra. "How exciting!" Bex heard his thick German accent as he called to them from across the bridge. He handed something to the man that Steve and Rebecca had seen running down the hall just before. "I am a great fan of your films!" he boomed, walking over to the bridge. Steve stared at him and took a couple steps forward, letting go of Bex's hand. She and Bucky stayed behind, holding tight to the railing beside them. She took a wary glance at her friend. Bex could tell that they both didn't like what was happening here.