XIX. BUCKY

═════ ◈ ═════

THEY STEPPED OVER slipping, unbalanced slopes of the train as it moved

THEY STEPPED OVER slipping, unbalanced slopes of the train as it moved. Rebecca bent her knees as she walked, making sure to keep balance. It was difficult to stay upright as the train went, feeling quicker by the second. But maybe that was just her. She, Gabe and Bucky followed Steve forward. He stopped in front of a metal ladder and climbed it down carefully, trying to not look down into the ravine below. Bucky and Rebecca followed behind him. Steve opened the metal door in front of the ladder and swung into the dark train.  Bucky and Bex followed him— Gabe stayed up on the roof of the moving vehicle as a stakeout and a final resort of their plan to corner Zola. Rebecca closed the door behind her. 

The transport was all gray metal, with beams holding up shelving units on the side of the car holding up crates and crates of who knows what.  There was minimal lighting, and most of it came from vents on the side of the train car.  Slivers of light came in through the dark. It was just as cold in there as it was outside, and Rebecca didn't like it. Everything felt wrong.

The trio exchanged glances, then quietly stepped through on either side of the metal shelves. Rebecca took her pistol out of its holster and held it at the ready, just as the boys did the same with their guns.

At the end of that room there was an open doorway leading into a room that looked just about the same.  Steve paused before going through and looked back behind Bucky and Rebecca.  He turned back around slowly and went through the doorway, tip-toeing in the same manner. The silence was eerie. He went through— but just as Rebecca and Bucky made their first steps toward the doorway— the metal door slid shut. Through a small window in the door Bex saw Steve instinctively turn around at the door and look through at them, eyes wide in panic. They didn't have time to think about opening the door— as both sides of it were met with someone walking in. Bex and Bucky turned their backs to the door and immediately started firing, Bucky with his rifle and Rebecca with her pistol.

She heard shots being fired in the room Steve was in, and the door shook behind her back. There wasn't any time to think about him, though. Bucky inched forward and crouched beside some crates at the side of the train car. Bex did the same, firing at a man who inched toward her slowly. Her pistol met its target and he fell to the ground just as Bex crouched back down behind the crates. More men came. They snuck beside the metal shelves in the middle of the train car and shot back at Rebecca and Bucky on opposite sides of the car. Every few seconds they would come back up and fire a couple shots in the direction of the men coming toward them, hoping their shots didn't miss. 

Rebecca shot her pistol repeatedly at the man coming toward her, but he'd just slide between the metal shelves and once she was down, he would just continue walking and shooting at her.  With the last of his rifle rounds, Bucky, still across from her, shot down the guard in front of him.  There was one more, however.  Rebecca glanced at Bucky.  As he slung his rifle around his back and took out his pistol, he looked back at her and mouthed 'switch in three,' while holding up the number.  Rebecca nodded, and he counted on his fingers, watching the Hydra soldier crouch down between the metal racks, hiding away.

Three. Rebecca slid across the back of the car, firing like crazy in the direction of the other soldier.  Bucky did the same.  However, even with the switch, the soldier still hid between the metal racks.  Bucky was now the one with the better angle on him. Rebecca tried to get around the side of the metal crates she hid behind, but she was afraid she would be seen.  She tried making an attempt to shoot him from the side, but as she pulled the trigger, her pistol clicked and the magazine fell out, empty.  She scrambled to duck down behind the crate again and cursed quietly.

After a couple more loud shots, Bucky's pistol did the same.  He quickly turned to sit against the wall of the train again, and looked at Bex, breathing heavy.  There weren't any more guns between the two of them.

After a moment, the door beside them opened, and Bex saw a sliver of Steve peeking through.  Bucky glanced up at him as the Captain tossed him his own pistol.  Steve immediately ran into the room, using his shield to knock over one of the larger metal crates on the shelf while Bucky stood up instinctively and shot at the soldier.  He died immediately.

Rebecca stood up once Bucky lowered his gun, saying, "I had him on the ropes."

"I know you did," replied Steve, turning to look at Rebecca.  He reached out his hand to put it on her back but glanced to her side to find some blue lights surrounded by a shadow coming through the cloud of dust from the destruction of the room behind them.  Steve's eyes widened immediately and his instincts kicked in as a powering up sound was made by the figure's large machine guns.

He pulled Rebecca behind him, making her stumble, but stay up.  "Get down!" he yelled quickly, holding up his shield as both Bucky and Bex got behind him. The soldier with the large, glowing guns fired a shot towards them.  Though they were protected by the shield, the shot was so large that it blew most of the munitions crates on the racks away and made a large hole in the side of the train car, which revealed the high mountaintops and low ravines of the alps around them.  It knocked Rebecca far back into the car and steve to the side of it.  Bucky lay in front of the shield.  He grabbed it the moment he sat up and began shooting at the soldier fiercely.  Just as Steve and Bex stood, the soldier powered up his glowing blue gun and shot at Bucky.  It blew the shield out of his hands before Steve or Rebecca could even stand, and threw him out the hole made before.  Rebecca got on her feet and ran over there as Steve picked up the shield and with all his might, threw it at the soldier in the doorway, hitting him in the chest and throwing him backwards. 

Bucky hung on the side of the train, dangling from a rung of the ladder they had climbed down what seemed to be so long ago.  Once the soldier with the glowing guns was dealt with, Steve rushed over. Bex moved aside so Steve could make his way toward him.  In her mind was a panic of warnings for Steve, curses, and plethoras of please don't fall, Bucky, please don't fall. Steve used the side of the vents on the train to inch himself toward him.  Rebecca saw Bucky's grip loosen. 

"Hang on!" said Steve.  Bucky tried to move himself across the ladder rung, closer to his friend.  "Grab my hand!" Steve reached out a hand to Bucky as he yelled.  As Bucky shifted, one of the parts of the ladder rung that had been secured onto the train squeaked and slipped off.  Bucky's grip loosened again as he tried to reach out to Steve, but his last ditch effort was fruitless— the other end of the rung became unsecure and slipped off the side of the train car.

"No!"

Rebecca leaned forward over the edge of the train car and reached her hand out instinctively.  She watched her friend fall into the ravines of the Alps as the train quickly drove further away. The scream stayed in her head even as it faded away.  His picture stayed in her head even as he fell out of view.  Steve gripped the edge of the train still, staring down into the ravine.  His head curled and he rested it on the side of the train. Bucky's screams stopped echoing.  Rebecca no longer felt anything but the cold air around her.  It was numbing. Everything felt wrong.  Everything was wrong.

a.n.  i go back to school tomorrow 😢 here's a sad chapter in honor of that i guess lol

don't forget to vote!

molly