Chapter 20: Second Chances

December 22, 00XX

Ythyr impressed Elliot.

He managed to save more camps than just Valerie's while he was busy shard hunting. Elliot met other camp leaders like Ainsel, Vivienne, and more who's too busy to interact with him.

They moved to a conjoined camp in the middle of the forest underground. Wards and protective seals kept them all safe for as long as possible.  The underground looked like a maze with tunnels connecting different chambers. Tents crowded the area, torches and lamps lit up the whole place.

Humans and demons roamed around the camp. The humans were busy preparing food while the demons guarded the area. Plenty of guards and sentries made sure no one would come near their camp.

The air was cooI. It felt comfortable. Elliot sat in his station watching the starry sky above him. He took a deep breath and sighed.

"Hey, you okay?" Ythyr asked.

Elliot turned to face him. "Yeah."

Ythyr nodded. "You look tired."

"I am." Elliot yawned. "But I'm getting used to this. It's the least I can do to help."

"You're doing more than enough. And don't worry about me. You need rest too." Elliot knew deep inside his fall hurt him. Ythyr always comforted him no matter what. It made his heart warm.

"Thank you," he whispered.

"Don't mention it." Ythyr stood up. "Let's go get some sleep. Another demon will take your place." Ythyr stretched his hand out to Elliot.

Elliot smiled. "Thanks." He took Ythyr's hand and they walked together towards their tent.

______________________________________

December 23, 00XX

"We can use that map I made 2 weeks ago when we were trying to find the tent."

In the middle of the caves a meeting room for the camp leaders was being prepared. Elliot was there helping the other demon leaders set up the table and chairs.

He felt conscious as he saw those eyes boring at his skull, the scrutiny from every direction. They had all seen his comrade's wrath and actions. He could feel their stares and whispers.

"We don't know when the angels will find our position," Valerie said. She looked Elliot over with her sharp gaze.

"If they do, we'll be ready," Ainsel announced. He was tall and intimidating in every way. "But first, angel, tell us all you know about your kind."

Elliot gulped. He thoroughly explained the events of the past week. Angel magic weaknesses and strengths. Information about their training formations and tactics. And the known demon camps that had been raided by the angels.

"What about their numbers?" Viviennea asked.

"Thousands..." Elliot mumbled.

"We're not prepared for this fight," Ainsel replied.

They stood in silence for a moment as they contemplated the information Elliot had provided them. It seemed impossible to defeat thousands of angels. But what choice did they have? They couldn't stay silent and not retaliate.

"Let's take a short break before we discuss our next move," Ythyr suggested, hoping to spark some faith in them.

"We need some time to think about how best to use our forces and give equal rations with our supplies," Vivienne sighed and paced the room for ideas.