Chapter 22: You and I, We've Been Through It All

December 1, 00XX

Elliot woke up and his hands rushed to his neck to feel no pain or injury. His eyes moved over to the mirror on the wall next to his bed. The scars were gone!

He lit up and sighed in relief and saw the light of a new day coming through the window. He sat in relief and calmness.

Ythyr, he thought with a smile. Wait! He's alive again!

He got out of bed and almost fell in excitement. He opened the door and met Zaila, surprised to see him awake. He ran up to her and gave her a big hug. She seemed confused and tried to say something before Elijah appeared behind Elliot. Back to his snarky self, Elijah opened his mouth about to mock Elliot.

"I know how you truly feel about me, Elijah," he said ominously. Elijah was shocked at what Elliot had just said. Elijah hadn't expected that from him. He looked at him in disbelief and denied it with every part of his being. It made Elliot scoff. "I'll elaborate–I just–have to go somewhere!"

Elijah didn't want to let him leave but Zaila stopped him. She knew better than to let them argue in public space. Elliot stretched his wings and flew out of heaven.

______________________________________

"Ythyr!" Elliot shouted. He flew past the trees at incredible speed. He blinked the tears threatening to fall out of his eyes. Desperation and anticipation ate him up. Then he saw Ythyr at the campfire, alive and confused. Relief washed over him as his friend's eyes widened with surprise. Elliot couldn't stop the tears from flowing down his cheeks as he pounced on his friend, hugging him tightly.

"Oh, Elliot," Ythyr said as he hugged him back.

"I thought I'd never see you again," Elliot sobbed, tightening his arms in Ythyr's embrace.

"I told you I'll be alive in the next loop," Ythyr said softly. "I'm glad to see that you're holding it."

Elliot nodded, sniffling and wiping away the tears from his face. His heart was racing like crazy; he hadn't felt this anxious since Ythyr died.

They looked at each other's eyes longingly for a moment before they separated.

"I've been waiting for you," Ythyr said.

"Me too," Elliot replied. They both laughed, happy to see one another again. "We have to redo everything, right?"

"Yes, but since we know the locations of the shards. It'll be a lot easier than last time. We should start now," Ythyr said enthusiastically. He wiped Elliot's tears, grabbed his hand, and led him out of the forest.

Elliot smiled as they walked side by side through the forest until they reached the church.

"Okay, let's get started," Elliot said. He claimed the shard in the church. They slotted the shard back and thankfully Elliot didn't faint. So they continued their hunt. They hung out in the tent.

They asked Valerie about a pass into hell. She agreed, thinking that Ythyr suddenly nabbed a date. They fought against the hellhound and laughed at silly jokes. Once they returned, they fixed the pane and left it in the tent.

Ythyr took Elliot flying. His snow-white angel wings contrasted with Ythyr's dark butterfly wings. The two of them soared high above the clouds. The ground below was dotted with red-brown earth hues, and the sky above had streaks of blue and gray.

If flying with him was a temptation, he'd fall for it every time. There were many things about that demon that made him feel joyful. The way they laughed together as they held their hands. And those glimmering eyes that looked at him if he could see through to his soul. He couldn't help but be entranced by them.

They hummed songs in the air as they flew. Elliot found himself smiling from ear to ear. The world seemed so much more beautiful than before. Everything was just so peaceful and serene. He didn't want this moment to end, but eventually, they came back to their tree. It was getting late now. The sun was setting behind them.

Elliot left after he hugged Ythyr. He chuckled, remembering Ythyr's old promise of showing him how boring the world was. But for him, it wasn't. Not when he's around.

______________________________________

December 2, 00XX

Elliot gathered the shards in heaven and fixed his part of the pane. He strolled random corridors until Zaila grabbed his arm. He smiled but faltered with Zaila's eyes.

"Hey–Zaila what's wrong?"

"I remember the last time, Elliot. You killed yourself, the war, your fall–I–what's happening?"

Elliot stood there stunned and gulped. "I told you we're in a time loop, I've been helping Ythyr stop it."

Zaila sighed and bowed her head. "I want you to know that I'm sorry."

"It's alright, I didn't believe it until it happened to me myself. Also there wasn't really anything you could do that time I fell. You caught me red handed." He wouldn't lie, it still stung to be left by your own friends.

"I trust you now. I also may have something to show you." Elliot curiously followed Zaila as walked through the corridor. At the end they saw a bright outline of a door.

"I asked the angels about it, they said it was always there. I don't remember it being here last time."

"Thanks Zaila I'll check it out."

"Sure I'll make sure no one enters."

He entered the room and gently shut the door. It looked normal at first until there was a sole box in the bed. He sat at the edge and opened it.

A letter and the shard was inside it. He read the contents and it's a letter from Azaroth.

"I've been looking for you. It's been a long time, hasn't it? I know you've changed and our relationship has fallen apart. But I won't back down from your declaration of war. We'll fight together as strangers. Sole enemies that never met. I will bring you down. Yours truly, Azaroth."

Elliot took the shard and placed the letter back. He's curious about the last memory he'll see.

He walked back out and thanked Zaila. He promised her that he'll find a way to fix this loop.

He left heaven and returned to Ythyr's tent. Then they fix the entire pane before he fainted.

______________________________________

Elliot woke up and yawned at the glass pane sitting on the table.

His eyes widened finally seeing the picture. It was Castiel and Azaroth sharing a ball of power in their hand. As shiny rays lit behind them both.

Ythyr was too busy doing something so he left a note saying he'll leave. Elliot left happy but his dream that night...

...Would forever crush his life.

Words: 1080