chapter iv

❝𝐉𝐔𝐒𝐓 𝐏𝐄𝐀𝐂𝐇𝐘❞

PARVATI SINGH WAS SITTING ON THE STEPS of her house out on the porch with a cigarette in between her fingers while the events of a couple hours ago played in head. Yeah, a couple of hours ago.

It was Friday evening and the Singh's had pulled up in the driveway to the Kapoor's. Anjali was on the verge of a panic attack, Mohan was strangely calm, and Parvati just really didn't want to be there. Neither of them did.

Anjali walked up to the door and knocked a few times before taking a huge step back, just in case. Parvati was hiding behind her parents, afraid what her grandmother would say about her. It was random, the insults. Diane made a point of always picking on her grand-daughter no matter what she was doing, always telling her how lazy she is so she changed her work ethic, telling her how useless she is so she made her self useful, and to top it all of, how much weight she had gained, and we all know what she did afterwards. Never had any of Diane's insults stuck to her the way that one did, and she hated it, she hated how self conscious she had grown afterwards.

The door creaked open slightly as Diane Kapoor poked her head out to see who it was. Upon laying eyes on the three people that stood in front of her door Diane smiled, which creeped Anjali out and sent chills down her spine.

"Ah, Anjali, Mohan, come in come in" she said and opened the door fully so they could step inside.

"Hey mom" she said as Diane smiled.

"Where's Parvati?" she asked as the girl peeked her head out from behind her mother.

"I'm here grandma" she said as Diane smiled.

"Oh you've grown so tall!" she marveled as Parvati prepared herself for Diane to make a comment on her weight, but she never did. Weird. Always, without fail, Diane would point out how much weight she gained or how much she lost, Parvati felt like she was never enough for her. "Come, sit, would you like some champagne? wine?" she asked as Angelica just nodded. "Well, which is it?" Diane asked giving her daughter a weird look. 

"Uh, wine" she answered as Diane smiled.

"Red or white?" 

"Red" 

They all gathered in the living room as Henry came down stairs. Parvati was currently looking through the books that were left on the table near the couch. As she skimmed through them with disdain at her grandfathers awful taste in literature she picked one up and started reading even though she hated it. The book was Lord of the Flies by William Golding. She remembers reading that book for a school assignment once and never in her entire life had she hated a piece of literature as much as Lord of the Flies.