Of Whiskey & Bonding

Finn quickly walked from the tube station to the restaurant where she usually met her father. It was his favorite lunch spot and while it was a bit flashier than she liked, the food was really good. She walked in and smiled at the hostess.

"I'm here to meet someone. Should be a reservation under Kyle Marsh," she said politely.

The woman looked down at the podium and then smiled up at her.

"Follow me, please," she said brightly.

Finn sighed and pulled her purse strap up on her shoulder, following behind her as they walked to her father's usual table. He had done well as a solicitor - had his own practice with branches here and in the US, where he had met her mother. While one would think that made him arrogant and all, he was rather calm and humble. The exact opposite of Finn's mother. How the two had fallen in love in the first place, she would never know. And it wasn't a thought she tended to dwell on.

"Finn!" he said brightly as he stood, walking over to hug and kiss her cheek.

"Hey, Dad," she said, smiling in return then walking over to sit across from him.

He sat as she picked up her menu, browsing over it, though she knew that she would get the same thing she always did.

"How's work?" he asked, having already decided what he was going to order.

"Good," she said, putting hers down as well. "Not super hectic at the moment, but you know how quickly that can change."

"Still on course for that promotion?" he asked.

"Hoping to," she said with a sigh. "Still gotta wait for an opening."

"You'll get there soon enough," he replied. "You always did do whatever it is you set your mind to."

Finn smiled and nodded. The server walked up and they placed their orders.

"So... I got a new roommate," Finn started once the server had walked off. Her father raised his eyebrows.

"That so?" he asked cautiously. Finn sighed.

"I promise, this one is decent," she said.

"You said that about the last four," he replied dryly, sitting up. "Really, Finn. I don't understand why you won't let me help you. Or at the very least, use your fund. There's more than enough in there to cover the rent or to finally purchase the place. That's why I set it up, you know. So that you wouldn't have to worry about money. Ever."

Finn sighed heavily and rubbed her temple. They had this discussion nearly every time she discussed the roommate situation. And while she appreciated the fund - it did pay for her college, after all - Finn wanted to earn her own way in life. Use her own money to pay for things. Not rely on her dad's bank account to get her through everything.

"I'd rather not," she said dryly. "It's for emergencies only."

"I think this warrants an emergency. At the very least, consider investing it. Maybe buy a house?" he suggested. "There are some lovely properties that I could show you."

"I'm not moving," Finn replied. "And I told you, I'm saving it for... something."

"You say that every time we talk about this, Finn. There's nothing wrong with using it," he said. "It's yours."

"No, it's yours," Finn shot back. "I didn't do anything to earn it."

"While I pride you on your determination to be independent, really Finn. It's getting ridiculous," her father said, sounding exasperated.

Finn chuckled as she reached for her water glass.

"It's your fault, you know. Working your way up from the bottom. I want to be just like you," she said, a smile on her face.