Complications

Finn took her time getting home from work that night. The weather was surprisingly mild for the season - usually by fall the city was a bit cold and wet. But she would take it while she could. Perhaps she and Katie could enjoy the balcony tonight as it might be one of the few last times they could before the miserable weather really set in.

It had been a few weeks since the party and despite feeling disappointed that she hadn't heard from Oliver, things were going rather well. Finn supposed it was likely all good and well he didn't contact her, as she wasn't sure just how she could handle seeing him again after she had covered his shirt in vomit. She and Katie had struck up a good routine, often eating dinner together when neither had other plans, talking about their days and such. They had gone out with Haley once and then with Alicia and Angelina. Finn decided that she really did like Katie's friends and was happy to see that Haley liked Katie. Even Taylor got on with her whenever he dropped by, which was seeming to happen a bit more frequently.

Finn had her own suspicions on that, but had yet to bring it up to him.

What's more, work had been going well. Really well. Charlotte had smiled a few times at Finn and complimented her work more than once this week alone.

Yes, things were looking up, she thought decidedly. Now if only she could get over her embarrassment about throwing up on Oliver. Honestly it was the first time she had been remotely attracted to anyone since the break-up. As such, she was slightly tempted to just buck up the courage and ask Katie for his number. Or not. She couldn't decide. Rationally, she thought she should take the fact that she hadn't heard from him since the party as a hint that he wasn't interested. But then she remembered that he had helped her home - abandoning his own party. Guys didn't just do that... did they? Maybe it was just who Oliver was. Which didn't help Finn's predicament at all as it only made her more attracted to him.

"Just.. to apologize. Yea. I'll tell her that I want to call to apologize. Better late than never right?" Finn muttered to herself before rolling her eyes and shaking her head.

It had been a few weeks. She should probably just get over it and move onto the next guy. If there was a next guy.

"Certainly not one with his eyes... and biceps..."

Finn slowed down as she heard her phone chirp, trying to locate it in her purse. When she pulled it out, she pursed her lips, debating whether she would answer. Of course, just because she was having a good day that would mean she would call and ruin it. Finally she accepted the call, knowing she would only call back until they finally spoke. Best to get it over with.

"Hello darling."

"Hi, Mom," Finn replied, starting to walk again.

"How are you?" her mother crooned.

"Fine, thanks for asking," Finn said dryly.

"Oh, please. You know how busy I am," her mother said. "Besides, it's not like you've come to visit in awhile. Or called."

Finn pursed her lips together again, though she knew her mother couldn't see her. Marguerite Carleton filled every stereotype of a blue-blooded socialite. She had always been rich. Always acted entitled. And, to Finn at least, saw her daughter as an accessory and tool to help move up the ladder. She collected husbands just as easily as she did Louis Vitton. Really, Finn couldn't understand how she had gotten her claws into her father long enough to have had Finn. All her other marriages never lasted that long.

Finn had sprinted to the airplane the day she left for London to attend university. At the time she told her mother that it was just four years, though she knew even then that it was unlikely she would return to New York.