MAY' 22 | The Factory Girl by @Spruce_Goose

About the Story - The Factory Girl

A young factory worker struggles to adapt to life outside the gates after her dismissal. 

*

About the Author - Spruce_Goose

My name is Amelia, also known as Goose! She/her, I'm twenty-three and I've been on Wattpad for about seven-ish years. On Wattpad, I'm predominantly a Historical Fiction writer with a focus on the dark and gloomy elements of History. Off Wattpad, I scoop ice cream and make fudge! 

*

" I did everything I could to protect her, and it wasn't enough."

- from The Factory Girl

*

Q. What makes you start writing on Wattpad? What is the thing you love the most about writing on Wattpad?

I started writing on Wattpad way back in 2012-ish because I had always wanted to find a platform to share my writing on (even when I had been but 13). Wattpad became that platform for me and I've gone through a fair few genre shifts in that time. There is something really special about the overall Community on Wattpad and just how supportive everyone is of each other. I think that's what I love the most about being here; it's the people that make this sight special.

Q. Your book "The Factory Girl" is a historical fiction book that revolves around the story of a girl who struggled with life outside the factory after being thrown out of it because of an accident. What is the inspiration for this unique plot? What piqued your interest in writing this story set in this period of time?

 The idea for 'The Factory Girl' came from two separate ideas. I'd always wanted to write something Victorian but struggled to find a plot that worked for me until I had these ideas of either a factory worker or a servant. From there, the plot of 'The Factory Girl' blossomed which allowed me to combine the two ideas into one and explore two different worlds of Victorian England. As for my interest, I've always found Victorian England particularly interesting because of the economical and social shifts throughout the era. The industry grew in the time period, but more people suffered economically and it was this difference in status and the impact of industrialization that I've always wanted to explore.

Q. As you finished the whole book of "The Factory Girl", what do you think makes the creation of good characters' relationships like friendships and family in a story? Does the historical genre make a huge impact on this?

I think creating good character relationships between friends and family is about making them real and genuine. Not everyone is going to get along all of the time, especially siblings, so having small moments that show them disagreeing adds a layer of depth to the relationship. No friendship or family is perfect and showing the flaws in the relationships can really help with the authenticity. Historically speaking, families could be viewed as being closer to one another than they might be now which certainly helps to create strong relationships between families. Also, a lot of people made their own families which were something I explored in my work so sometimes family and friends mixed into one group. Every genre can affect just how character relationships are formed.

Q. Is "The Factory Girl" the story you enjoy writing the most? Why? What are your favorite details/scenes in your story?

'The Factory Girl' was such a huge story for me to write and I really enjoyed exploring the characters and relationships across the entire series. There was just something about writing a character who had been kicked down so many times but kept getting back up that kept pulling me back into the story and the universe. It was also the first story I wrote that had a romance thread in it which was difficult to write but seemed to work out quite well. My favorite scenes in the story are probably towards the very end where we see the main characters' two worlds collide into one with tragic consequences. There was a scene in the latter part of the story where my main character just erupts and yells at people which was emotionally draining to write, but worked to show just how the family relationship between the factory workers worked.

Q. What is your favorite series related to family and friends?

My favorite series related to family and friends has to be the Percy Jackson universe by Rick Riordian. There are so many interwoven friendships and familial relationships in the series and they're all different from each other. Perhaps the strongest one was Percy's relationship with his mum, Sally who did everything she could to protect him, even staying with an abusive partner. There are loads of different layers of family and friends in the series that just works really well.

Q. Lastly, what is your advice for new writers who want to try writing themes revolving around a relationship between family and friends? 

My advice for anyone wanting to write about themes revolving around friends and family is to make them real. I know that sounds obvious, but not every family is going to get on, not all friends are going to be really close. Relationships need levels and different dynamics if they're to work realistically. Don't make them one-note, have them fight or argue and have them make up with something as simple as watching a film together rather than apologizing. Have characters that get on with their families and others that don't get on with their families. Also, just have fun with it, that's the best advice a person can be given.

*

Thank you so much for joining this talk!
Have you read "The Factory Girl"? If not, you should check it out now.

Check out more of their amazing works at their account Spruce_Goose!

- More to come, friends.